I need to get the hell out of Chicago!

Discussion in 'Help Wanted/Job Wanted' started by Clum, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Clum

Clum

what's left of my sanity can't handle the city life anymore. I'm really thinking about making a change and would love nothing more than to make a move closer to Manistee.

I'm an IBEW Local 701 low voltage alarm tech, and was thinking the Grand Rapids area would be a nice central location to a ton of rivers, and a decent sized city for work.

Does anyone know of any Grand Rapids IBEW members, curious how much work is up there, if they have guys on the books, how their contract is ect.

At this moment, this is all pie in the sky, but I wouldnt mind some ideas on cities or towns to move to where there's decent amount of work with lots of good fishing.

2. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

The best thing you can do is get out your tramp guide and start making calls to the locals that you think you may want to work out of. More than likely you won't get a 100% truthful answer since the BAs don't know who the are talking with. Plan a book signing trip and check out what each jurisdiction has to offer. Good luck.

Clum likes this.

3. Waif

Waif

Clum likes this.
  4. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Get a gas card, and go sign some books.
    Be a boomer for a while, and see if you are suited to it.
    Obviously big cities (thankfully near river systems) always have IBEW locals.
    If you can make the hours requirement transfer your book.

But don't expect to make Chicago wages working in W Michigan.

Clum likes this.
  5. Clum

Clum

forgive me, but whats a boomer? o_O

yeah, i figured not to make as much, but hopefully id have better quality of life. I do have a buddy out of detroit, he lives in Monroe, he does pretty good on the check.

6. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

I can infer from your question that you've not been in the IBEW for very long.
    A "Boomer" is a union indentured man working outside of his home local, in another man's local. As a "guest".

You don't get to work outside your local unless approved by the host local, except in certain circumstances.

You may wish to talk to your BA, they can fill you in on the whole thing.

It would suck moving to a new town and not being able to work.

7. benster

benster

I've never heard the term Boomer and I've been in local 252 for 21 years? I've never had to work outside of my local thought. I assume it's the same thing as a traveler.

dirtyfisheyes187 likes this.
  8. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Boomer = Traveler
    Here are some more terms that may help you out if you have to tramp. 41 year member in IBEW LU #58.
    http://www.theunionbootpro.com/slang/

Double d's likes this.
  9. mattawanhunter

mattawanhunter

Not that it helps but I believe that Kalamazoo has bigger union Electrical contractors to work for than GR. Historically there are more non-union contractors in Grand Rapids I could be wrong!
    Good luck, I've always said that I would flip burgers in northern Michigan before I would work in Chicago or Detroit!

QUOTE="Clum, post: 6274313, member: 100934"]what's left of my sanity can't handle the city life anymore. I'm really thinking about making a change and would love nothing more than to make a move closer to Manistee.

I'm an IBEW Local 701 low voltage alarm tech, and was thinking the Grand Rapids area would be a nice central location to a ton of rivers, and a decent sized city for work.

Does anyone know of any Grand Rapids IBEW members, curious how much work is up there, if they have guys on the books, how their contract is ect.

At this moment, this is all pie in the sky, but I wouldnt mind some ideas on cities or towns to move to where there's decent amount of work with lots of good fishing.

10. GuppyII

GuppyII

No part of IBEW but Nexteer in Saginaw is hiring anyone that can put two wires together for 30/hr.. not great pay but close to a lot of good fishing and not to far from the west side.

11. MrFysch

MrFysch

Grand Rapids in a non Union area....tons of work throughout Michigan especially the southern locals...most are needing GOOD QUALIFIED electricians. Hard to find them right now. I had so many slugs working for me last summer it was embarrassing.

Double d's likes this.
  12. GuppyII

GuppyII

Need any Machine Repairmen? lol

13. salmonslammer

salmonslammer

I know its not the west side, but 58 only had 30 some people on the books when I talked to my buddy last Sunday.

14. jim222lansing

jim222lansing

I spoke with the traverse city BA Friday and he said he expects to continue doing well. I did not ask for book numbers but he's a nice down to earth guy who can also give you good information on west Michigan work when you call. Dave should be in the office Monday. (231) 943-4980
    local 498, jim from lansing

15. jjlrrw

jjlrrw

Don't over look the Holland, Grand Haven, Muskegon area, much more relaxed than GR, my 13 mile drive home takes me less than 20 minutes a traffic jam is 5 cars waiting at a 4-way stop.

mattawanhunter likes this.