close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I had no clue it was this bad

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by TeamBuckshot, Dec 6, 2017 at 3:38 PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 357Maximum

357Maximum

That truly sucks and you and your neighbors have my deepest condolences. It kills me how many think SLP and immediately just jump to the too many deer thing. I too hunt an area that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over rated in density by those that invent the numbers out of thin air. I was hoping that lower density might save my bacon in the CWD arena. AAAAAAAAAAAAARG :sad:

2. MrFysch

MrFysch

Once again less than 1%. I don't have a quick answer. Mandatory testing is probably a smart move. No way it will happen because of the cost that would require without a substantial license increase. If a deer is tested positive then at least the hunter would know and proper disposal could happen. I just don't believe there is any way possible to ...
    1. Kill every deer that is or may be carrying in some dormant gene in the core area.
    2. Rid the environment or the water of the prions or whatever biological or ecological form seems to retain the disease for eons.
    Unfortunately CWD is going to run its course...we as the stewards of the herd are going to struggle with the process. Nature finds a way to survive. The sky is falling every time an invasive species or disease impacts our environment. Sometimes man can try but is mostly a passenger too the final outcome.
    3. Everyday we give the antis more ammunition in there well supported and well funded fight to stop hunting and fishing. Killing1000 deer to possibly kill the 1 that has a disease is irresponsible at the least. They must be licking their chops sitting on the sidelines here.

Why doesn't the hunting public get upset when a squirrel gets the mange or a partridge gets a disease that threatens their population? As long as there are animals there will be disease. Mass execution isn't the answer.

hk_sl8, jiggin is livin and Justin like this.

3. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

Odds are it spread to your area from one of the higher density areas. We really do know how to limit the spread, we have known all along. Population reduction by targeting doe will help keep prevalence rates low, and limiting buck age structure will help to keep it contained by limiting dispersal.
    I said a year ago that the entire SLP should have been managed accordingly until we had a handle on geographic spread. Drawing circles and focusing on positive areas, and drawing circles and focusing on positive areas, and drawing circles and focusing on positive areas .... will just lead to the entire state being positive.
    So what now? I still say you manage the entire state for CWD before it is to late.
    <----<<<

4. Walt Donaldson

Walt Donaldson

For me, it starts with trying to eliminate the possible risk, which is already extremely low to begin with. So, my plan would be to get all deer tested, just as I did this year, quarter up and freeze if it's warm, keep that knife and any others used in a baggy etc until I receive the CWD results. If it's positive(highly unlikely) then I would toss the utensils used at that point. I don't think it's very likely I will ever kill a CWD positive deer, and I also believe it would be extremely rare for a human to get it through ingestion, although not impossible. I think there are a lot of benefits to processing your own, starting with a savings in money and the peace of mind that you know what you're getting. I'm not freaked out about it, at the same time, I don't want to take an unnecessary risk with the health of my family by ignoring it.

5. Justin

Justin

Kinda reminds me of the buck that my wife hit with her car. Big deer, tall and wide but only a forkhorn. The odd thing was that both ears had been cut off. I was told that it's a common practice of deer farms. When hit, he was at least ten miles from the nearest deer farm.

6. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

12-6-17 Update: Too bad the DNR did not include the "suspect" deer in last week's update that had been processed at that time.

http://www.michigan.gov/emergingdiseases/0,4579,7-186-81018_25806-357110--,00.html

Lansing Core Area disease running at roughly .09%--9 out of every 10,000 tested.
    Montcalm/Kent Core Area disease is at roughly .8%--80 out of every 10,000.

EDIT: Included Kent County with Montcalm which is part of the Montcalm Core Area.

L & O

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 10:12 AM
  7. otcarcher

otcarcher

100% obvious. The guy that owned the farm in 2008 was caught trying to release deer. How many did he release before getting caught? Deer were also sold from his farm to another in Montcalm. Testing of those deer were "unavailable" at the time, and then nothing else was ever reported about it.

FullQuiver likes this.
  8. fishx65

fishx65

What happens if and when CWD gets in a water supply. I would guess it's already in river systems, lakes and ponds. I know lots of people who
    Doesn't make any sense why they're waiting so long to implement the CWD response plan unless I'm wrong and it's already kickin. I'm guessing the window of opportunity to stop the spread, if it could be stopped, is long gone. Kinda sucks if the new objective is just to slow the spread instead of stop it.

357Maximum likes this.
  9. 357Maximum

357Maximum

AGREED, there is a high deer density pretty much non huntable 1x4 mile virtual "subdivision" about 5-6 miles from me. That is the area that used to give me big buck hopes when them protected old "stranger to my area" bucks went a roaming with stars in their eyes every fall..........now that area really concerns me. As much as I hate to say it, I agree with sharpshooters going in there and working overtime. Healthy meat to eat always has and always will be far more important to me than any amount of calcium deposits for the wall. I would hunt backyard deer even if they did not grow antlers, but I will not hunt any deer when it gets to the point I cannot be somewhat sure we will not lose our grey matter health over eating it. I also cannot control what people off my property do, especially when they are miles away. All I can do is hunt my low density vacuum area and cross my fingers I guess. It is frustrating at minimum.

Also: I was quite happy with the testing speed on the first animal I checked this year on the 16th. The results came in the day I would have normally completed the butchering anyway. As of right now however I have a deer that is processed into the main muscle groups sitting in the freezer that is still pending and it was checked in on the 28th. I also have some cheap cutlery and other utensils in confinement/isolation waiting for the results. If I did not butcher my own deer I would be really screwed with current testing situation. That "processing" thing alone is gonna really hurt hunters numbers if this gets worse, which seems inevitable at this point. The state needs to get their poop in a group on many levels. Going by past experiences with other diseases/bugs/ and exotics in this state I ain't holding my breath however.

10. otcarcher

otcarcher

Bingo

11. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Any one know the general location of that facility ?

12. hypox

hypox

So 2,300 deer were tested in the "remainder of state" according to the report.

Are they at least going to tell us the counties and number of deer per county that were tested? It would be nice to see some deer in the area that tested negative.

13. Groundsize

Groundsize

Ok so now that this has blown wide open how do we eliminate the problem or is it here to stay forever?!?!

14. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Fully implement the CWD plan in all counties with known CWD plus the surrounding county or two as a buffer zone.

15. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

Why not the entire state for a few years until we have a handle on geographic spread?
    Your post above is pretty much been what they have been doing, and it apparently has failed.
    Yes! It's here to stay unless they find a vaccine, cure, or effective decontamination protocol.
    <----<<<

rollin stone and MossyHorns like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.