close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I can't drop shot worth a shoot

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Drumminsully, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Drumminsully

Drumminsully

Was on the lake today from 730 until 1230 today drifting from 11mile rd south to gp. I found 18 fow and shut the boat off first trying a tube without so much as a nibble for a half hour. So I tried a drop shot 3/16 with a small octopus tied with a Palomar knot with the tag pulled back through the hook. Trick finesse worm green pumpkin 12in from bottom. All I could get was little nibbles which seemed to come when I over worked the bait. Felt like rock bass or perch...I tried a few other worms from a real small chartruese to watermelon etc. I also lowered the bait to 6in up...I tried 1/4...nothing changed...any advice for a stubborn and struggling fisherman would be greatly appreciated

2. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

The few things I've learned about fishing a drop shot rig.

1) Fish it vertically where you can see fish on your electronics.

2) If you don't see fish, move around until you do find them.

Drumminsully likes this.

3. Drumminsully

Drumminsully

Ok thanks...maybe I should try another technique if vertical fishing is key. I don't have a fishing boat just a 19ft bowrider so I don't have a trolling motor ..suppose I could drop anchor but you still swing around...

slowpaya likes this.
  4. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

I can think of plenty of ways to slowly present a soft plastic bait if you're drift fishing.

Carolina Rig, Split Shot Rig, Slip Shot Rig - All would work with a small worm, tube, or creature bait. To get the lure off bottom, you could try a floating worm or inserting a floating jig head inside of a tube.

You could also use a slip bobber which would suspend the bait at whatever depth you wanted so long as you aren't drifting too fast. Too much speed tends to lift the bait higher than the depth set.

5. Drumminsully

Drumminsully

I've be trying real hard with a Texas rig and a tube ,I do ok but not great...I picked this guy up today on a Texas bluegill tube in 10.5 fow in front of the SCS memorial park. I kept fishing for a few more hours and lost one more due to a bad hookset(had the drag set too low) 20170709_085027.jpg

Insert name here, slowpaya and Tryin2 like this.
  6. Drumminsully

Drumminsully

And btw thank you for the great suggestions! I've never fished a Carolina rig before but I think it's about time to try...

7. Slimshady

Slimshady

We do ok drifting with drop-shots in rod-holders while casting crankbaits or jerk-baits. However, we have found that when you are not holding them, it works better if we use baits they will hold onto for a while, like tubes, or other salt impregnated baits. If we start getting more on the drop-shots than the moving baits, we will cast the drop-shots too.

8. slowpaya

slowpaya Premium Member

need 2 anchors ,front n back and by the way:Welcome::Welcome::Welcome:

9. kristo27

kristo27

Drop shot is very effective use Kvd dream shots fish 7 to 12' fish the dark patches of weeds an you will catch piles of them I run a 2' lead from weight slinks through the taller weeds with ease an is a great way to get em

jstfish48162 likes this.