close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I-bobber fish finder?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by part-timer, Jun 13, 2017.

1. part-timer

part-timer

Was at a store the other day and saw the I-bobber fish finder. Was thinkin about giving it a try so I don't have to drill holes in my boat. Anyone have one? Pros cons? Worth the money? Any info would be appreciated.

2. brdhntr

brdhntr

From what I see of it you would be better off buying one of the cheap garmin, lowrance, or bird units that actually give you a decent sonar picture. It looks like the app plays a cartoon video on your phone with fish icons and a depth. Having the unit tell you what is a fish is not very useful. Need to get the full sonar picture and learn to read it. If you want to limit drilling holes in your boat, epoxy a plastic plate to the transom for mounting stuff. I have a 1986 Blue Fin that doesn't leak a drop despite having a swim platform and multiple sensors attached.

jiggin is livin, seanwr400 and jimbo like this.

3. jimbo

jimbo

I bet you went use it much. 15 yrs ago I bought one of those cast able ones with the screen on the watch. I got it for backpacking with my belly boat . Used it just a couple of times. It had to be moving or ît would shut off.
    Nice for checking depth once or twice around the lake, but more of a hassle.
    Holes on the boat can be ugly, but easy to fix.
    That said,it at work for your needs.

part-timer likes this.
  4. Deep Fried Carp Lips

Deep Fried Carp Lips

I use a Vexilar T-Pod on my kayak often. No holes, I attach it with a velcro leash, and use a throw-away smartphone with a clamp-type holder. Very effective for finding depth, bottom composition and submerged cover. Not so effective at identifying actual fish, per se, though that does happen when conditions are right. I'm very happy with it for the money.

My T-Pod is getting beat up, and the batteries don't last forever. When I replace it I'm strongly considering the Deeper Pro Plus. It's a newer generation, with better sonar resolution, and has GPS-enabled mapping and waypoint capability.

If you do get one of these, make sure to get one with WiFi, NOT just bluetooth. The WiFi connection is way more reliable on these things.

part-timer likes this.
  5. seanwr400

seanwr400

There were these finders called "Fishing Buddies" guessing they still make them. Know a few people that have used them and bought one for a gift. They work ok, but just ok..... Better than nothing for sure and are portable, they just clamp to the side of the boat. Nothing beats a proper finder though... GPS and way points rule once you have them, you'll never want to be with out.

part-timer likes this.
  6. gatorman841

gatorman841 Premium Member

Starboard will work

part-timer likes this.