I am glad that I don’t own a restaurant or bar in Michigan

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by BILC, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Fishndude

Fishndude

Speed of the game is important, as well as being able to change with a changing market. When covid restrictions were initially implemented, quite a few restaurants immediately changed their focus to being able to provide excellent carryout food, and service. And they prospered, while others didn't. Not sure I'd order a couple $75 prime steak dinners to go, but I've had carryout food a couple handfuls of times during the pandemic. The places that had great food, and service before covid, probably will get through with the support of their loyal customers. Places that didn't provide real good value probably won't. And it is unfortunate that a lot of restaurants simply won't re-open.

2. BILC

BILC

Remember when you couldn’t buy fireworks in Michigan and as soon as you crossed the border to Indiana there were all of the buildings selling fireworks? I guess that they are now changing over to restaurants and bars.

3. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

Ohio also has worse covid stats than MI (cases and cases per population).

4. Punisher69

Punisher69

Maybe only if you're vaccinated. Canada is projecting every Canadian can be vaccinated by September.

Gordon Casey likes this.
  5. Fishndude

Fishndude

Yeah, but Canada only has 37 million people, total. I'll bet it'll be tough to get all the folks who live out in the wild inoculated by Sept.

6. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

I disagree that restaurant and especially bar owners can just repurpose to takeout and be fine. For starters, many have significant capital investments in floor space to include some in areas of prime expensive real estate. It's no easy task to repurpose this space to an equally profitable use. Wait staff are also layed off and, assuming they were in their current role for a reason, it's unlikely they are going to have an equally desireable job elsewhere.

There's also no doubt in my mind that food and drink expenditures have shifted away from restaurants and to grocery and convenience stores. Restaurants and bars aren't ideally situated to compete for these dollars, although some have certainly made attempts. A lot of the allure of eating out isn't just getting the food but the experience of being out.

There's no doubt that this has caused disruptions in the economy especially given the sudden and unexpected nature and given the constant uncertainty of the resolution. Yes economies adjust in time. However, adjustments usually involve pain in the short run and winners and losers even in the long run.

7. Fishndude

Fishndude

Be that as it may, not changing with these very different times is not going to yield much success. The places that did change how they were conducting business have been managing to get through this. Some places have had record business volume, while others are dying like tomatoes on the vine after a hard frost. There is a truism in business that you can't keep doing them same thing forever, and expect it to work forever. The business world changes, and businesses must change with it. Those who change fastest seem to prosper the most. Those who feel that status-quo is the way to go, typically fade after a bit.

None of the bar/restaurant Owners asked for this to happen, or caused it to happen. It is a real shame for them that we (Michiganders as a whole) can't do what it takes to knock covid down a a reasonable level, which forces the Governor to implement restrictions on indoor dining, and bars. A real shame. But I don't see attitudes changing, so I don't expect we'll get this under control anytime soon. Which will just put more bars, restaurants, and other businesses out of business. Yep, a real shame.

pescadero, Gordon Casey and tincanary like this.
  8. Petronius

Petronius Premium Member

The restaurant and bar scene will be very different when these coronavirus shutdowns finally end. Most of the bad to mediocre will disappear along with some of the good places. Fast food establishments will survive as will the places that have been able to quickly adapt. A lot of this depends on their ability to provide carry outs. Sad to say but many of these restaurants need to close. A lot of places are saturated.

Gordon Casey likes this.
  9. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

The restaurant we frequent for breakfast changed to meet the times. Bacon and eggs are not a good take out item so they changed over to various breakfast wraps and wrapped them in tin foil (Walleye Mike that's one for you). They are warm when you get home and taste great. The owner said they will be a regular part of their menu. If restaurants want the thrive they have change, if they sit there and say "whoa is me" they will not last.

10. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

I live 30 min from Indiana and there are a lot of Michigan plates parked at restaurants down there. Restaurants are busy and the buffets are even open.

11. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

I had conversation with my friend at the Sault yesterday. They are more serious about the lockdown than we are. Damn, they are loyal to their system. My friend says there is not too much bitching about temporarily losing a little freedoms.

Punisher69 likes this.
  12. stickman1978

stickman1978

My daughter buys a box of produce once a week from a produce distributor. They deliver it right to her door. The game is always changing.

13. triplelunger

triplelunger

Well bully for them!
    I don't get takeout... takeout is silly. If I'm eating at home, it will be something I cooked. Cheaper and heathier.
    It was nice back in the day to stop at the bar for a couple beers after work, or take the family out to eat once every couple months. A restaurant is a nice, fun escape sometimes. I haven't been in a restaurant or bar since the masked walk of shame to your seat was implemented.
    The state should be spending their time and resources distributing this vaccine to those that want it instead of breaking up speak easys right now.

https://www.mlive.com/public-intere...d-after-complaints-prompt-investigations.html

Kind of embarrassing if you ask me.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  14. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for opening businesses/restaurants in a prudent way. Masks on except when at the table. Social distancing. The restaurants we regularly attend did do everything that was right.
    Because we live in a "you can't tell me what to do" society, a lot of establishments payed little attention or care about abiding by the mandates. No supervision of the clientele, mobs of people congregating.
    So, the Governor had to shut everything down because a few establishments refused to abide by the rules.
    It's always a few con conformists that muck it up for the majority of abiding facilities.
    That's true in just about everything in our society. The minority wreck it for the majority.
    I have found that in Canada there are more people that follow the rules than those that do not.

Punisher69 and pescadero like this.
  15. John Singer

John Singer

Heck, even without Covid, buffets are sources of viral transmission.