Hyperthyroidism??

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by Benelli, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Benelli

Benelli Britt Homer Premium Member

Anyone have experience with this in dogs?

Just had (for the dog) annual booster shots, etc. and included “adult” blood work this time.

Blood results came back normal, although “thyroid level a little low”. I can do an additional test to make sure it is not the result of Hyperthyroid.

Dog is 7, active as in avatar, same weight as he was in 2013, coat is fine. Skinny and happy is how I describe him to others who ask how he is doing…

Wondering if I should be too concerned and order up the additional testing…any thoughts / experiences appreciated…

2. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

I have had two British labradors with low thyroid levels. Weight gain is usually the case in really low thyroid levels. If he isn't symptomatic, I would not worry, but I would continue to have him tested. Dugan had to go on levothyroxine when he was 10. He lived to 14 and was active until he turned 13.

Hypothyroidism= low thyroid level of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH)
    Hyperthyroidism= too high thyroid level of TSH

Nostromo and 2ESRGR8 like this.

3. micooner

micooner

Had one of my cooners with it. Hypo. She was a coon treeing, nite hunt winning dog. One night she didnt act right. Got to the tree and she was curled up resting. I carried her back to my truck. Went to the vet and ran bloodwork she was hypo. Medicated her with the synthroid in a few days same ol coon treeing machine. Lived 5 more years to 12 years of age.

Nostromo likes this.
  4. Benelli

Benelli Britt Homer Premium Member

Thanks for the replies.

And yes, I stand corrected, hypo not hyper as I ascertained from voicemail.

Regardless, spoke with Vet today and was advised to keep an eye on potential hypo symptoms such as weight gain, hair loss, lethargy, etc. and keep up with the annual blood work.

Anyhow, if symptoms do show up, sounds like the condition is manageable with meds…

Thanks again.

5. micooner

micooner

One other thing to consider is that some dogs present thyroid conditions that is brought on by having different types of tic diseases. In some of the hound lines it is being tracked back on a certain bloodline so genectics play a part but the tic diseases are a factor also.