close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Huron River Steelhead 2017/18

Discussion in 'South East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by happydj, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Swampbuckster

Swampbuckster

Wi
    Spring or fall?
    Just curious. I like to Target winter Steelhead over flatrock.

2. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Late winter early spring. Drift hot n tots at them as well as spinners. Spots I've seen them in are deeper pools behind structure. That's about as much as I can say without giving more spaciffics that could actually give the spot away. Gl and go get em
    Burgundy

Swampbuckster likes this.

3. Fishndude

Fishndude

The Huron is high, and surpisingly clear, right now. When the frost comes out of the ground (next 2 weeks) the river will muddy-up.

4. MISTURN3

MISTURN3

1A8D0C98-8DEB-483B-B8DD-01FB2947D5D5.jpeg 7CFAB85A-F2FA-4ACA-9166-F42C888EB0D3.jpeg Pics from today at huroc park

jakediesel and Frank like this.
  5. Chris Pung

Chris Pung

Any one have luck fishing the river at Island Lakes State Park? Now that ice fishing is pretty much done for the season I was thinking about wetting a line out there.

6. Swampbuckster

Swampbuckster

There is a variety of fish to target through there. May be able to find an aggressive pike or two before the season closes. Good luck

7. Swampbuckster

Swampbuckster

8. Chris Pung

Chris Pung

I went out there yesterday and fished by the River Bend picnic area. I was throwing a Panther Martin and a small crank bait. Are there any tips you could give at what would be better to use this time of year? I’m not looking to catch anything in particular, mostly passing the time until Spring when I can take my son out with me. I’m just getting back into fishing the last year or so after taking quite a few years off. Thanks for the help.

9. gotoith

gotoith

May want to wait til the water drops more. You can get them on spinners and plugs; the Huron will take lures from you. Lots of wood throughout the system.

Recommend black, white or pink/white 1/16 oz jigs with marabou and a waxworm. Fish jig off bottom under bobber. Simple and it works. I hear they sell jigs at the gas station near the dam. May want to check it out.

One last note - use a big pencil float and weight it above the jig. This way you can cast the rig and let it float down without you having to pull the line out of the water.

More info http://steelheadmanifesto.com/top-five-winter-steelhead-jig-fishing-tips

All the best,

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Pung likes this.
  10. jd4223

jd4223

Most people cast twister tail jigs(white,1/8 to 1/4oz) the other people bottom bounce using about a 2 foot leader with a black fly off a sinker dropper. The way the water looks right now,I would use a 1/2oz to 5/8oz sinker. A lot cheaper to bottom bounce than to use lures,,,too many snags.

Chris Pung likes this.
  11. twohats

twohats

Chris,The Huron running through island lake is pretty good fishing for pan fish, bass and a few pike once the water temp. comes up. It gets a small but fishable run of suckers as well. I like to wade and flyfish it or ultralight spin fishing. spring mill pond in the park gets stocked in the spring with trout, check the sign posted there for regulations. The river in proud lake also gets stocked every spring with trout as well. The trout are usually pretty beat up from being older hatcher fish,but still fun to catch and pretty easy to catch as well.
    Hope this helps.

Chris Pung likes this.