Huron River Steelhead 2017/18

Discussion in 'South East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by happydj, Sep 27, 2017.

1. happydj

happydj

Went to an unnamed Huroc Park in Flat Rock on Sunday. Water is probably the lowest I have ever seen it. I was swinging a small chart and white clouser minnow and manged to catch a shad, guessing it bumped my clouser. Saw some gills come out from a guy with a small inline spinner and that was it.

need some serious rain and temp drops to get this party started.

2. jd4223

jd4223

I've been fishing the river every Sunday now for the past 2 months. I think the dam at Bellville has been shut off. If you really want to kill the fish(3" bluegills and 4" bass),cross the foot bridge and walk down stream towards Telegragh and fish directly across from the canoe rental. Use any type of size 12 and smaller nymph or my favorite,rubber spider. You can catch a fish on every cast. The water may be up to 2' deep there so use caution and wear your life jacket...lol. As a bonus you can watch the fish attack your fly being it's so shallow! I hope I won't get banned now and everybody will be lining up to fish this secret spot. I don't know what's going to happen come the late fall and winter. The only way we would have a chance at any fish would be to put a boat in at the the mouth of the river and work our way upstream.

leon1952 and Aaronjeep2 like this.

3. Fishndude

Fishndude

I live in Belleville, and the Huron is as low as I have ever seen it - for most of the last 2 months. The dam is flowing, but not much.

Unnamed Huroc Park. I know of a park with that name. :lol:

happydj and Aaronjeep2 like this.
  4. jjc155

jjc155

none of the Dams on the Huron are "shut off" its the fact that we have had next to no rain this summer. I fish prob 50 days a summer on about 40miles of the Huron and this is the lowest I've seen it in a long long time. As I type this the Ann Arbor gauge show 79cfs. Should be up around 400cfs for that gauge in a normal summer.

J-

5. Swampbuckster

Swampbuckster

Wow. Haven't bothered to look at the gauge for a while. That is impressively low. Forecast looks like things are going to stay dry for a while too. Perhaps November will bring along some good soakers. I can say a lot of the local duck swamps have turned to muck and grass this summer.

6. jd4223

jd4223

Thanks for the info on the dams. I didn't realize the low water was strictly from lack of rain fall. The couple of big storms we had didn't do anything for the water level. That's why I thought the low levels were due to the dam situation...

7. happydj

happydj

Well I wouldn't mind if they dropped Belleville Lake a foot or 2. Bring up the river and lower the lake.

8. happydj

happydj

I live across the road from the lake and put my boat in regularly, a drop to see some of my fishing spots better would be nice on occasion. There are spots between French Landing dam and lower Huron metro that I have never seen but every day I am seeing structure in the river I never knew was there.

9. Swampbuckster

Swampbuckster

It would bring the river up for a day or so and that's it. River flow below dams only really depends on river flows above dams.

10. HuronBrowns

HuronBrowns

It doesn't matter whether it's too low or blown out, all the steel will be caught by Swampbuckster soon anyways.

junkman likes this.
  11. PERCHDOG

PERCHDOG

0 for 0 today..

Actually not fishing for steel but took nice ride up river from Hulls Trace. Seen, felt some of that structure about 2/3rd's of the way to Huroc. I have never never have taken a boat ride through there before, always wanted to. Can't wait until I get fish finder,

12. Swampbuckster

Swampbuckster

I already have. May as well save your money and gear for next year. Run came and went early. The early angler catches all the steelhead from the river haven't you heard.

13. happydj

happydj

Yeah I know, the river is truly rain/runoff dependent not lake level. Maybe Swamp will have an off year this year and save a few for the rest of us.

14. happydj

happydj

Oh and by the way meet my new fishing and hunting buddy.[​IMG]

15. junkman

junkman

How have you been ?