close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Huron River Fishing

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Tedd March, May 10, 2017.

1. Tedd March

Tedd March

Hi,

I've been trying to fish the Huron River now for about two years and have had zero success. I've caught a few silver bass but that is it.

I try to target pike and smallmouth but I am failing miserably. I've tried tubes, lipless crankbaits, jerkbaits, grubs, you name it and I've tried it. Currently I go to the metro parks and the Huroc Park.

Long story short, what are some spots in the metro parks or along the Huron River that I can get access too? What lures should I be using? What to look for in the water....fast moving, curves, eddies, etc? Could it be the time of year? Any and all knowledge would be much appreciated.

2. Smallmouth Chaser

Smallmouth Chaser

I am not familiar with the Huron River but have some questions for you.
    1. What time of day are you fishing?
    2. Are you bank fishing or are you able to wade?
    3. Are you strictly fishing the easy access points or are you searching out holes & holding structure?

Smallmouth are aggressive fish and typically will hit all the lures you mentioned and most rivers in southern Michigan have enough small ones to make it interesting.

Do you fish fast or slow water? My experience suggests that faster water is easier to fish for smallies. They will use structure and current like browns.

I would try below a dam or in a section above or below rapids. Any area a few inches to s few feet deeper should hold SM and look for the pike in current breaks & eddies. The last couple hours of the day can be good. Try jigs that look like crayfish (green early season and orange later in summer).

Good Luck!

3. Tedd March

Tedd March

1. I fish all times of the day but generally more so in the morning.
    2. I bank fish predominately but I do have access do wading. However, the water is very fast in some of the locations right now.
    3. I try to find curves in the river where it will dig out deeper regions and eddies.

Most of the time my strategy is just to cast at a 45 degree angle upstream and let it drift to about the same degree downstream and repeat.

The river has a lot and I mea a lot of rocks and sticks at the bottom so I snag just about every third cast.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I'm really struggling.

4. ART

ART

You may have better luck farther upstream- closer to the pinkney - ann arbor area

5. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

The thing I have found about fishing rivers is that you have to get away from the crowds. If you are fishing easy accessibly areas those fish are getting hammered and have seen it all. Some times just moving down stream 50 yards pays huge dividends. My favorite way of fishing river smallies is dragging a 4 inch green pumpkin tube across the bottom. Enough weight so it ticks the bottom and doesn't snag( though you will loose a lot)

6. Smallmouth Chaser

Smallmouth Chaser

Pick up a kayak and explore! My best spots are an hour from an access point and well worth the time. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1494603699.165491.jpg

mbirdsley likes this.
  7. junkman

junkman

There are access points all along the Huron all the way out to the lake.Dodge park is a good place for access.Not a lot of people know it is there.Labo park is another one.And there are a few places along South Huron River drive to access also.Just have to look for them.It's a very diverse fishery there is no telling what you will stumble across while fishing it.

8. Bill Fred Bear

Bill Fred Bear

I use to fish the Huron around Brighton. US 23 to Ricket Rd.
    We would hammer on the small mouth but all baits were a crayfish or looked like a crayfish. Last time I fished there was probably almost 30 years ago.

9. MRocks

MRocks

In the 90s I fished the Huron upstream from Ann Arbor down to Barton Pond. Slaughtered the bass. I don't know much below there. We would canoe it, which gave us great access and got us through some skinny water.

10. Zib

Zib

If you haven't been doing so, try changing up the speed that you work your lures.

Can't see how you're not catching them on grubs? Are you tying the line directly to your jig head or using a snap. Tying direct is best. It's ok to use a snap (without a swivel) for cranks. Too much jewelry on the presentation can deter pressured fish plus it can effect the action of the lure.

In-line spinners such as a #3 Mepps plain Aglia with a silver blade is a killer smallmouth lure. You can control the depth it runs at by raising or lowering the rod tip to avoid the snags.

Top water lures such as a Rebel Pop-R can be deadly in the warmer months in small rivers. Also the smaller Zara Spook or other walk-the-dog style top waters (Rapala makes 1 or 2).

11. ReelRetired

ReelRetired

I fish for smallmouth on the AuSable and they love a 1/8 oz jig with a pumpkinseed color 3" gulp grub with twister tail. Throw to structure and let it drift with the current keeping it just off the bottom.

12. gusmckay

gusmckay

I fish the river in Lower Huron and Willow Metropark, primarily wading during the summer months when the river is lower. Generally use #3 Mepps spinners, small crankbaits and small tube jigs. Having great success with the smallmouth, generally in the straight sections of the river with faster current and rocks/shoreline structure present.

13. fishindad

fishindad

I agree. If you can't catch a smallie on a 3" grub or #3 Mepps, there are no smallies living there!:)