Huron River / Barton Pond Ann Arbor

Discussion in 'South East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by DetroitIron, Sep 13, 2004.

1. DetroitIron

DetroitIron

Hello,
    Has anyone fished the Huron River upstream of Barton Pond? (Ypsifly, where are you!!). I'm looking to get my 14 foot aluminum w/5 HP outboard out there. My buddy and I used to fish it for years at the Barton Pond Dam while he was at U of M. Always wanted to fish the pond from a boat. I just picked up the motor for my boat (Thanks, Gunrod-from this site). I've heard there are walleye / pike / catfish out on this stretch of water?

I just took the Amtrack to Chicago two weeks ago, and it seemed like there was a lot of weedgrowth / algea on the river just a bit upstream of Barton pond (looked kinda nasty in spots).

Any and all info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Orret

Orret

Mike,

I could be wrong but I think that stretch of the Huron may not allow motors. I've fished there for several years and I've never seen a boat with a motor upstream of Barton Pond, just canoes and small pontoon style boats. It's also very shallow in some places, especially this time of year. There are some sweepers and log jams in places, but the canoes get through. Perhaps you could just use some oars and work downstream driftboat style.

Orret

3. Orret

Orret

Forgot to mention, that stretch of the Huron is almost exclusively smallmouth bass and rockbass water. No walleye as far as I know. I've seen a few pike, never seen any catfish, plenty of carp in slow areas. You'll also find some bluegill, pumpkinseed, and largemouth bass, but smallies and rockbass dominate.

Orret

4. Connor4501

Connor4501

"Barton Pond is an impoundment of the Huron River that covers 302 acres. The lake has been mostly known for its crappies, but the DNR has poured thousands of channel catfish into it almost every year since 1996. This should mean lots of keepers soon. Crappies were found up to 12" in a recent DNR survey and they are growing faster than the state average. You'll find a fair number of 12-18" walleyes and bluegills from 4.5-7.5". The pond has a few pike averaging 20-24", some smallmouth bass (11.5" average) and pumpkinseed sunfishthat average 7". Like most river impoundments, Barton has some fairly steep dropoffs along the shore and there are sunken logs and brush. The pond is up to 30 feet near the dam but shallow on the western end. A decent fishery inside of Ann Arbor, Barton gets a lot of fishing pressure."

Source: Sportsman's Connection's Southeastern Michigan Fishing Map Guide 2002

Hope this helps a little... ;)

5. kroppe

kroppe

I've fished this body of water from canoe and also by wading. The farthest upstream reach is the Huron River Drive bridge and Tubbs Road. At this point it has some current, and I have caught bluegills and sunfish, but also had a pike on a fly which broke off. Farther down is fairly shallow and increasingly slow, as you get into the pond proper. I have fished the pier, which is above the dam, accessible by foot path from the parking lot at the dam. No fish caught; pretty steep drop but not much cover there. There is a lot of rip rap along the south shore near the pier -- looks good but I have not fished it.

I've also canoed the mid section of this pond which is where Huron River Drive winds around the water, above the Maple Road area. Nice depth, about 6-8 feet but slow current and lots of weeds/snags. Looks like great pike water, as well as carp. Personally I have not caught anything besides sunfish in this stretch. There is a "boat launch" near Maple Road; actually a joke of a spot you can hand carry a small craft or if you have the guts you can try to back a trailer down the short, steep "ramp". It is a very poor access site, which is in very dire need of DNR attention.

If I were going to fish this water analytically, I would do it by electric trolling motor on a canoe or Jon boat. Trolling bottom bouncers or deep diving Rapalas would attract smallies and maybe a walleye or two. Yes, there are a few 'eyes, but they are very few and far between. I've caught a 20 incher farther upstream, on a size 3 Mepps. Casting towards shore, with a whole crawler and some weight from a boat with a slow falling retrieve would likely be a good tactic as well.

6. YPSIFLY

YPSIFLY

I replied to your PM, Gallup Park might be a better option for eyes.

7. DetroitIron

DetroitIron

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll give it a try, and let all know how I do!

Mike.

8. eoswald

eoswald

I fish the barton pond 6-10x a month for 2 years now. I haven't caught many crappie but i've caught tons of gills and rockbass. I know smallmouth are everywhere but i've caught more largemouth ----probably because i target them, however. Catfish are constantly being caught - I catch them more often than carp (then again, i sometimes target catfish so that is probably why). I've never caught an 'eye but i'm going to target them this summer. I catch pike most frequently tho - regardless of what i trying for - from about st. pats day through labor day....and less frequently throughout the rest of the summer.
    we fish barton with a 11' jon boat and an electric motor. I'd say it is an OK fishery but nothing to write home to mama about. I only fish there because I am familiar with it. PM me if you'd like to go out on it.

9. engineer20

engineer20 Banned

I'm thinking about checking Barton pond out. I go to Ann Arbor a fair bit and am interested in this place. Where from shore can you park and fish here? Thanks.

10. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Thread just above this one with some nice catfish :)

11. engineer20

engineer20 Banned

it's been a while, i caught a pike at barton 2 weeks ago. last week i had a near miss (saw the pike swim near my bait as i pulled it up) so i guess there are pike there but what about catfish or fishing underneath the dam ? unrelated, but what about fishing after argo park/pond near the or under the dixboro rd bridge by paper mill park? i saw a guy catch a dogfish there the other day on a nightcrawler and a 1 oz weight, hwo much weight would you typically use? i saw a youtube vid of a guy catching all sorts of fish over there, but what about with live bluegill or leeches?

12. engineer20

engineer20 Banned

someone told me there were crappie under barton dam. i was under the dam and i saw peopel above the dam catch some large bluegill and one guy caught a pike, but what about crappie above or below barton dam?

13. JungleGeorge

JungleGeorge

I catch them all the time on flies . If u really wanna go all out get some crickets and fish the high water

14. engineer20

engineer20 Banned

so now that it's getting cooler outside, esp at night, i heard the crappie begin biting, they're an early spring and fall fish, but when you say fall, do you mean now, or mid fall (october) or late fall (november)? are there crappie anywhere else in the huron river? under the dam, there's pike, but i saw above the dam, on the other side, cross that steel bridge thing, and people were catching large bluegill, is that where the crappie are, or below? and are minnows ok for crappie? live work well, but what about dead minnows ?
    speaking of minnows, i know round haus in ypsi sells minnows, but are there any places in ann arbor or near ann arbor that sell minnows? i know whitmore lake also sells minnows but that's out of town just like the ypsi one (not that close to ann arbor since it's on the far end of the lake closer to belleville lake, irather than the stasrt of ford lake, so it's close to van buren township/belleville

15. DasGoby

DasGoby

Pretty new to the area but from what I've seen the water below the damn is very shallow. It doesn't look like a great crappie spot to me. I've seen people setting up above the damn at night with crappie minnows and lighted bobbers. I'm not sure how they do.