Huron county dog tracker

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by protectionisamust, Oct 17, 2020.

1. retired dundo

retired dundo

I think your hell of a good sport an.The amount of time you put in looking.Very few would do what you did.Most would give up after a couple hours.If anyone ever deserved to find there deer it is you.So sorry hopefully you will be rewarded with a giant in future

2. Smitty03

Smitty03

What kind of field is to the south of the woods you searched? Possibly is he dead in one of the fields?

3. Ieatshrooms

Ieatshrooms

I know this isn't a popular opinion since most everyone seems to indicate lung hit, but I just don't see it. Bubbles like those in the pics are often in blood that isn't lung blood. Lung hits to me are more pink and frothy. The color of the blood looks like every liver hit deer I've tracked. Deer also seem to travel longer before bedding on a liver hit as opposed to one lung. With zero beds found, I still believe its a liver hit dead deer. You can pass through the liver and sever the esophagus or stomach which can create some bubbling like that. Very good effort on searching, I hope your last ditch effort proves fruitful because I would bet anything he is laying dead out there and within 500 yards of your shot site.

4. protectionisamust

protectionisamust

South, cut beans and the field is flat as concrete. You could see a squirrel run at 300 yards.

Went to west woods with 4 wheeler.
    Cuised up and down twice, doe tracks and yearling buck tracks only. Nothing laying within 30 yards of edge. Oh, our field and field to west, tilled dirt - also very flat.

vsmorgantown and John Hine like this.
  5. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

:yeahthat:

vsmorgantown likes this.
  6. plugger

plugger Premium Member

As someone who has done a lot of tracking, both with and without a dog I can say it happens a lot more often than some people admit. I have tracked for several people, more than once, that swear up and down they never lost a deer.

7. ryan-b

ryan-b

Hell of a effort! The tracker did a disservice by claiming to have a single clue what that deer was going to do. He has zero way of knowing and I’ve personally watch deer bed down in cut corn fields to die.

8. 1morebite

1morebite

You have exhausted all efforts humanly possible.
    Your approach was methodical, deliberate and we'll thought out with documented notes.
    I commend you for your efforts, we could all learn from you.
    Now it's time to get back on the horse!

9. cb2176

cb2176

Great job on the follow up... plus the education you passed along on the way.... them darn things are tough as concrete nails....

Bowhunt long enough and it is inevitable that you will be left scratching your head, wondering how that UFO STOLE MY DEER WITHOUT ME SEEING IT! Seriously, how do them buggers survive at times!!!!????

Tough tough animals. Kudos on the post shot follow up.

10. deepwoods

deepwoods

I appreciate your honesty. Based on your original pics I also would of thought dead deer. It bugs me a bit when someone comes on here asking a bunch of questions about a hit and then goes radio silent. You showed character in the way you handled the entire thing even though it hasn't ended the way we all hoped.

Best of luck the remainder of the season.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

11. protectionisamust

protectionisamust

Thank you. I appreciate everyones kind words. I really take after the shot serious and to heart. I dont participate in too many threads but I like to try and add things like this when they arise so someone else could possibly learn from my mistakes. Never know, a new hunter may not know how to grid search so seeing the pics may help someone trying to cover a woodlot, etc..

This story isnt over! Im putting the word out and he's now my # 1 goal to find out if he surfaces in the area or not. I thought the dog would give me closure but my gut is telling me, there is more to this and we may meet again...

motdean, caj33, LuckyBucks and 13 others like this.
  12. Biggbear

Biggbear

Watch for ravens and vultures tomorrow, you may at least end up with the rack.

One thing I forgot to mention about my Brother's buddy's dog. It is a little white Schit Tzu. I never would have believed it, but he trained that little dog into a tracking machine. They were tracking my Broher's deer and had to scoop the dog up a couple times because a Bald Eagle kept moving from tree to tree following them. They were afraid it might be eyeing up the dog.

13. protectionisamust

protectionisamust

Wow - todays THP episode is a flashback. Hit almost looks identical area to mine. Except mine was from a stand at 37 yards. These animals are crazy tuff.

They commented in the episode too about not finding beds either. If you havent watched the new episode yet, sorry about the spoiler.

14. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Just finished watching it and thought of your search

B Smithiers likes this.
  15. protectionisamust

protectionisamust

Identical situation I just went through and the arrow impact almost sounds identical as well.
    wow

Jake, I feel for you...trust me, lol