Huron county dog tracker

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by protectionisamust, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Biggbear

Biggbear

A friend of my Brother's has a tracking dog, and here are a few things I learned from him. A well trained dog doesn't track blood (not even a "Blood" hound). There is a gland between a deer's hooves that emit a scent that is specific to that deer, that's what the dog tracks. That's how they can track a single deer on a well worn deer trail.

A good handler does not try to figure out the deer, and steer the dog where he thinks the deer went, he let's the dog lead him even if it makes no sense. If a dog gets off the track, the handler should simply help him find the track again, the track is there somewhere. This can be done by taking the dog back to where he lost it and making expanding circles. A good handler can read his dog like a book.

All that being said I believe you're right, that deer is there, and he is dead. I would bet you will find him next to, or under a blow down. If you think your buck was headed toward that Ag field, follow your gut.

I hope it all works out, I'm sorry the dog didn't work out. It sounds like the handler thinks he's better than the dog. I've seen good dogs work, and it's amazing to watch. If you don't find him look up Chris Morris (Critter) I don't think he's that far from you. If any dog can find that deer now, it would be his.

2. Bowhunt

Bowhunt

I agree 100% also. The deer I posted about above went across a 10 acre picked bean field and then a 20 acre alfalfa field (bedded many times) until I found him in the first bit of cover across that alfalfa field. He left a nasty 10 acre Native grass CRP field to do that. I assume we bumped him but most would have thought (including me) is that he will never leave that thick cover to go that way. It was also an eye opener to me to back out as if he was willing to go that way, he was still strong enough to leave alone until morning.

Dish7, Sparky23 and vsmorgantown like this.

3. Walleyze247

Walleyze247

From what you said, he managed to plug that wound and cover some ground. I bet he started bleeding again, and I bet there is another bloody bed, or death bed. Dont forget to look high for blood. Good luck Captain.

4. Gsphunteronpoint1

Gsphunteronpoint1

Sounds like the handler trusted himself more on what he thought the deer would do, not what the deer actually did.

NbyNW, 12Point, U of M Fan and 7 others like this.
  5. anagranite

anagranite

Don't forget to check all the fence rows, deer like to lay down where they can watch their back trail but still be in cover.

Good luck

Namrock and vsmorgantown like this.
  6. wannabapro

wannabapro

Well doesn’t it look like he turned left and was headed south? Assuming I’m reading this correctly and he didn’t do anything crazy afterwards I’d be looking south past the yellow circles to start with.

7. Sparky23

Sparky23

Sorry to say but sounds like as said your handler trusted himself way more than the dog. For one most trackers wont tell you where deer is going. Get a few friends and grind search. Wood Loyd that size you can effectively grid search using on x. Dont try on your own 10 eyes are way better than 2. Good luck. I dont agree the deer is alive or was last night unfortunately. Been there. Sucks best of luck

sureshot006 likes this.
  8. protectionisamust

protectionisamust

Grid dearched wood lot. No luck. Looping east in the creek and going to start working west

anagranite likes this.
  9. edenwildlife

edenwildlife

keep at it, good effort and good luck!!!

10. timbrhuntr

timbrhuntr

I agree with Biggbear. I have a buddy that is a dog tracker in Ky. I asked him once and he said that his dog gets on the scent gland of the specific deer. He said the wounded deer gives a different scent and I have been with him where he tracked deer several miles accross open fields and woods even down a hydro cut. I asked how he could do it since we had not seen a hint of blood for a long way. Thats when he told me he doesn't follow or scent the blood. He also let the dog lead unless he knew for sure the dog was confused by the way it acted then he tried to get the dog back to an area he could get the scent again. It was amazing to watch him and that dog work. I could not believe some of the distances that dog went to find poorly hit deer absolutely amazing !!

11. Waif

Waif

Oval caught my eye too.
    Almost as if the buck was running his normal (yes , what the heck is normal ..) route of informal current boundaries.
    IF liver is not involved , the buck might just be plugging along as usual.
    Not that a hole in a lung cannot be fatal. But the buck don't know that.
    After bloody nose coughing lets up and entrance exit holes clot up enough, little blood.

I arrowed one low in brisket in front of shoulder.
    Buck went where it wanted!
    Blood was sparse and ended with a dime sized drop after a creek swim.
    Buck went into a fallow field , and uphill to bed below a hedge. A long button hook of travel about a quarter mile.
    Enough internal bleeding (must have been a large vein in brisket) killed him.
    But his trail didn't indicate a deer in much trouble , at all.

November Sunrise likes this.
  12. My life size mount that I killed crossed a wide open field and we found him tucked up under a thick nasty bush 20 yds into the woods on the other side. I’m not sure why the dog handler would tell you a wounded deer won’t cross an open field. How can anyone tell what an animal is thinking when basically harpooned and close to its last breath. I would think there is no telling what an animal will do when wounded. I had one do about a 150 yard circle once and ended up dying about twenty yards from where I originally shot him. There’s just no telling what a wounded animal is capable of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Imagine if any of us got an arrow through one lung! I think we would all be dead. These animals are warriors! They don’t even get medical attention!! I sure hope you find him. I agree with what others have said. The more eyes the better and grid search. You can’t ever have too many eyes when looking for a wounded animal. I might even try a different tracking dog. What could it hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky23 likes this.
  14. Waif

Waif

Blood often lets up in the open. Less struggle to motate. Not rubbing clotting areas against grass and brush ect. No , deer don't know that. But , go where they will.
    How many revisit an area they were in earlier before being wounded? More than one has.
    Maybe it was secure then so maybe it is now , or it's just familiar ground.
    I have trouble breathing and must travel on foot , I'm not looking to struggle through cover putting distance between point of attack and security elsewhere either.
    Another deer can/could plunge into nearest dense cover.
    A buck dying on it's feet vs one bedded in a vantage spot and expiring....Till you run it's trail it's a crap shoot.

And till proven otherwise the deer is dead. Just as it could be argued it's alive. But for the sake of what we're hunting , we pursue obligation as if it's down somewhere till convinced we searched enough properly.

15. protectionisamust

protectionisamust

Im about there. Still out searching. I grid searched the 13. I moved across the field to the creek bottom. Im searching a 30 yard "s" on each side. I went 120 acres in distance along the south side of creek because it has a higher ridge along it and i get a good view down in. Im within the last 80 strech of the other side. Jumped a couple along the way, no blood jn beds. I did find this in a briar patch. 16030345194966945299790130979279.jpg