Hunting Woodland Pond

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by tom_the_chemist, Sep 25, 2020.

1. tom_the_chemist

tom_the_chemist

Pond on private land in the woods. Probably 1.5 - 2 acres. Last weekend when out for the early doe season at 5 PM and there about 10 - 12 ducks on it and 10 - 12 geese. As the evening went on, it got closer to dark and geese started pouring into it. When we left it was incredibly load from all of the honking.

Today, I snuckout mid day. There were 6 or so wood ducks, two really small ducks, and a hand full of geese.

My question is how do I hunt this pond?

Where should i hunt on it? In the pics, you are facing south.

Thanks![​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. tom_the_chemist

tom_the_chemist

To clarify, how do I hunt this without ruining it after one time?

Do i try to jump shoot it? Should i set up early in the morning? Afternoon?

Thanks.

3. Fishfighter

Fishfighter

Sounds like you should hunt it midday and mornings as its a roost. Hunt it at night one time and those ducks and geese will be gone.

tom_the_chemist likes this.
  4. tom_the_chemist

tom_the_chemist

So it sounds like this wouldn't be the place to put out decoys and sit. It's more for jump shooting?

5. Fishfighter

Fishfighter

I would put decoys and sit the morning untill about noon. I have made the mistake of shooting a roosting area at night great shoot but never saw the hundreds of ducks it was holding ever again. I

6. Carpenter Bill

Carpenter Bill

Never shoot a roost,if u do u have to wait for the birds to leave it in the morning.

7. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

I hunted a roost for years as they left the roost. It was full of woodies. I set up a ways from the roost pass shooting. I even shot a few coming back to the roost. I have no clue where they went to do a quick feed but some of those retuning had crops full of corn. It never seemed to hurt the roost one bit as I only hunted it a couple of times a week.

I talked to my life long hunting buddy that owns the pond the other night. He said it is full of woodies. He broad cast some type of grain on a powerline food plot above the pond. He said that there could not be much left of what he broadcast as it was covered with woodies feeding just before dark the other night.

8. Carpenter Bill

Carpenter Bill

Just put a little bit of gold in that their pond and you'll have the Hunt of a lifetime. Lol

ajkulish and tom_the_chemist like this.
  9. tom_the_chemist

tom_the_chemist

Lol. Yeah, I am sure that works but...

10. tom_the_chemist

tom_the_chemist

Thanks everyone for your help. One last question. Where should I set up? With the wind to my face, to my back or crossing?

There is decent cover around the entire pond. The north, east, and west sides are a variety of trees and shrubs. Much of the south side is phragmites.

11. Fall Flight Punisher

Fall Flight Punisher

So here’s my answer to you. As others have said I would hunted in the morning, and not hesitate to set some decoys up. My next question to you is, how are you gonna put the decoys out and how are you going to retrieve? That’s the first thing I would think about a small boat or are you able to Wade.

12. Fall Flight Punisher

Fall Flight Punisher

On a pond that size in my opinion wind, unless it is very strong it’s not gonna be a huge factor. This isn’t my first rodeo and I understand wind but you’re going to bring them birds into a pond that they have as a safe haven they’re gonna come to you. Have fun, Good luck, shoot straight.