close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunting Tips and Tricks thread

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by UplandnWaterfowl, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

Cabelas carry a small multi tool/key chain I carried it with me whether upland or waterfowl hunting in place of needle nose. Because of the compact and lightweight design I purchased enough for family and good friends for Christmas. They take little room and does not add much weight in the ammo bag or if carried in an upland vest can be very handy in an emergency. It also folds up to minimize damage while carrying it, and again reduce space that may be needed for more shells, at least in my case.

Do not get me wrong they are not a Leatherman or Gerber multi-tool, but they will and have come through in a pinch or emergency for me.

2. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

Not sure what each of you use to identify each persons ducks but if you trap the tags use for trapping work well cheap and reuseable. The tip is ziptie's in the bottom of ammo bag. Not only to attach identity tag but has multiple uses. Dog goes through blind, blind weathering comes loose, want to add additional cover on blind, use to reattach gas line on outboard, yep extra ziptie's come in handy and will be used at one time or another.

3. Waif

Waif Premium Member

Round boot laces not staying tied ,or paracord a pain to untie?
    Use a firm square knot. Unties pretty easy.

4. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

Not sure if this pertains to hunting tips but it does pertains to after the hunt. A hose at the entrance to home/cabin will remove mud/sand etc from waders/boots it works spring,summer, and fall gets the packed clay if wet still out of crevices/tread in the bottom of boot/waders.

If you have a difficult time getting recipes of duck, geese to come out taisty and are tough? Consider a meat tenderizer they are usually about 20 bucks or less and can be used not only for wild game but can enhance all meat. I like the one that actually pokes or slices through meat instead of flattening. The holes it makes into or through the meat allow marinades and spices to enter meat along with tenderizing it.

Just thought these tips for after the hunt will make it easier and more enjoyable.

5. Fowlersduckhunter

Fowlersduckhunter

I have done this for several years and it works excellent.

6. Swamp Boss

Swamp Boss

After years of watching my jetsled cover blowing across the ice or sinking while duck hunting, I put a couple of grommets in the cover right where the rope affixes to the sled.

7. WalleyeSlayer4224

WalleyeSlayer4224

Just wondering I've got a wheat field I'm planning to goose hunt with geese already landing in the fields... should I dig holes in the field to try and conceal my layout blind and reduce the signature as much as possible or just leave it and let half the blind stick up above the great

8. Kennybks

Kennybks

Early season it likely won't make much of a difference. After a few trips birds might get educated to your location and then you'll dig more. The land owner might not be real happy with all the holes dug in his field.

Typically it's better to remain mobile and just brush them in well. If it was a relatively small field and with permission, I'd consider it.

9. Waif

Waif Premium Member

I've never used a layout...
    If you have enough stubble ,what if you raked up a couple windrows , longer than your layout with your layout in one?
    Even an inch or two height should contrast with the rest of the field.
    If the field is not cut...just add whatever debris is around to break layout silhouette.

10. flocknocker1

flocknocker1

When field hunting with variable wind directions , set your dekes in an X pattern. Instead of moving your dekes all over to keep the pocket in the right place,just rotate your blinds in the middle of the X as you will have 4 pockets to choose from . Seems to work well for us . Certainly not an earth shattering tip ,just wanted to contribute some how,lol !!

zoombaiter25 likes this.
  11. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

Toilet paper, always carry toilet paper

zimmzala, Bertslash and Waif like this.
  12. ert1371

ert1371

I carry a very sharp folding knife in my coat when hunting marshes. Haven't had to use it fortunately but if you end up in a bind you can cut yourself out.

13. Cale F

Cale F

For flooded corn fields/managed hunts used old pipe and attached a 6x4 piece of wood to top for seat and about 8 in from bottom another small piece of wood to rest of mud so you have a nice seat/leaning post that wont sink to far.

14. WalleyeSlayer4224

WalleyeSlayer4224

Hey guys looking to buy a new waterfowl gun mainly for goose hunting . Looking at the Stoeger P3500 I can get it for around 200 new just wondering if anyone has any reviews on it. Thanks!

15. Bertslash

Bertslash

I was looking to buy new 2 years ago and was heavily leaning toward the 3500. Very good product by the millions of reviews and research I read, if I didn't find a deal of the century on an 11-87.... I would have bought the 3500.