close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunting Tips and Tricks thread

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by UplandnWaterfowl, Aug 7, 2013.

1. MrOcean

MrOcean

If you want to paint your face and you are worried about acne, take a real cork(not one of those fake rubber ones) from a wine bottle, light the end of it on fire until it turns all black, let it cool, and apply the charred material. It comes off really easy and doesn't leave your face all greasy. Added bonus, you get to drink a bottle before you get the cork!

jsbowman likes this.
  2. TSS Caddis

TSS Caddis

If hunting with good shots, shoot first.
    If hunting with bad shots, shoot last.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

3. hoody25

hoody25

Have any pics of the decoy after the paint job, like the idea would like to see it before I do mine

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

When hiking crap into or out of a field, or even if you can drive out and unload, put a flashlight on top of the pile pointed back towards you.

Nothing better than walking around like an idiot in the dark looking for your huge pile of gear when you should have the spread half out already.

5. Jbutler23

Jbutler23

Don't forget to put the plug in the boat. Sounds simple but very important to remember.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. Bellyup

Bellyup

A couple times in NODAK I wished I had done this, new territory, fisrt time in the field, and it is DARK out there.

Good tip is to also make sure your robo's work well and don't need maintainence should you elect to use them.

Check waders for leaks prior to opening morning.

Buy a facemask if you are not painting your face.

if launching at a well used boat ramp, have your gear loaded in the boat and ready to shove off the trailer when it is backed in.

Make sure fresh batteries are in flashlight.

Go through blind bag and throw out all left over beef jerky.... hard to tell old from new in the dark.........

Leave game strap in truck, it ensures you will have a few birds to haul back in.

Prior to opening day, make sure your choke tubes can be screwed out, and in. Make sure they have proper lube.

Check all pockets in the coat for lost gloves from last year. The coats now-a-days have so many pockets you will find items you thought you lost 3 years ago. Oh, and that left over snicker bar that has melted three times over.

Pocket knife on hand.

Leave the IPOD at home.

And the # 1 tip I can give, is to have an open mind, and enjoy yourself.

7. UplandnWaterfowl

UplandnWaterfowl Premium Member

Reading ShiKid's post on decoy rigging just reminded me of another tip, Ball Bungee's are real handy and everyone should have a couple dozen in their boat (I got mine from Harbor Freight). I use them all the time for securing fast grass that I want to remove at the end of the hunt, only takes 4-6 per panel and you can cover a boat/blind in 10 min. with 2 guys. Also use them to hold the door shut on blinds, so when the dog BUSTS out to retrieve, it just pops open. Great on windy days to keep things from flapping. Cheap, easy to use with gloves, easy to store and not tangle - a win win.

Attached Files:

8. Williamsarchery_MI

Williamsarchery_MI

Last fall I ran into some trouble I was using an acrylic goose call on the water. I had a flock of 12 geese coming in and then they turned tail. I kept calling them back and nothing. I soon learned after a few hours and giving up the hunt. It was the acrylic call and the plastic goose heads. After further research had been done. Wood calls are expensive do any of you make your own wood Flute style goose calls?

9. LSSUfishmaster

LSSUfishmaster

I can't stress this enough scout, scout, and SCOUT! I'll waste most of a Saturday to have a great hunt on Sunday. Took a few years of poor Saturday and Sunday hunts to figure this out. Of course I do have a few spots that I don't have to scout.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. charcoal300zxtt

charcoal300zxtt

Check out Havalon knives, best Ive found so far for duck and geese. Its small and thin enough to do teal and just big enough for a goose. The blades are interchangeable and razor sharp. sure makes the after the hunt work go a lot easier.

Attached Files:

11. kotimaki

kotimaki

And old zebco 808 reel makes a great jerk rig...

12. john warren

john warren

use a collapsable tent pole instead. the kind that have the bungy inside. folds down to three sections and its already black. you can get replacements at meijers for like 6 bucks or so.
    and if you want longer or shorter you can add more lengths of pole
    :fish:

13. john warren

john warren

iok heres one specialy for the knot head in the maroon ford pick up out at bald mountain last saturday,,,,,,don't leave your truck parked and blocking the small boat ramp! dumb axe! next time you will have four flat tires.grrrrrrrr!:fish:

14. lawnboy

lawnboy

When you go out in the boat, ask everyone if they know how to swim

Bertslash likes this.
  15. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

First aid kit for you or your dog. At the very least peroxide for cuts and a little to get the dog to throw up if he has eaten something poisonous. Benadryl in case blind has hornet nest dog gets stung several times (may have allergic reaction). Needle nose pliers or hemostats to remove imbedded steel/glass/porcupine quils etc. Corn starch and duck tape. Corn starch will help in coagulating or to stop bleeding and tape to tape around holding it around wound not to tight to stop circulation otherwise you can cause gangrene. Emergency parka its plastic and about the size of a billfold. Can be used to wrap dog to keep dry and maintain heat can also be used for you or your buddies in emergency situations.

Now because of guns, decoys,dogs,shells etc,. Where to make room and to make it light. Besides duck tape and pliers/hemostats the rest will only get used in emergency. Peroxide get the smallest available or use seperate or different bottle make sure clearly marked. Use vacuum pack sealer for around peroxide small bottle, again use it vacuum sealer for adequate amount of corn starch. Buy bendryl packages and parka and then seal all again in a vacuum pack to be opened in emergency. It makes a small and light weight that can even be put in ammo bag except the duct tape and needle nose pliers/or hemostats. These will be needed or used several times fixing outboard, getting gun unjammed, taping boots etc etc.

Good thing to remember is if you have something to keep dry vacuum pack sealer works well. You will need a knife or scissors to open but it will keep what you need dry and compact.