Hunting knives

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by anthology86, Oct 6, 2007.

1. anthology86

anthology86

I'm looking into investing in a good, all-aroundish knive for cleaning game. I dont know much about knives besides when I look in Cabela's there are a lot of choices. So my research begins here.

What do you guys look for in a good hunting knive?

2. Direwolfe

Direwolfe

Very personal preferences. I have several but the basic design I prefer for deer (but works with smaller critters) is: high quality steel so it takes a good edge; fixed blade so you don't have a weak point or have to worry about it folding at the wrong moment; full size "handle " with a good surface to keep your grip; blade no longer than 4-4.5 inches. So a high quality stainless blade with a textured synthetic grip. (I must admit, for purely aesthetic reasons many of mine are stag handles even though not as functional).

3. Huntsman27

Huntsman27 Guest

Barkriver,Marbles,Case and many others. I collect a lot of them, but have many I use too.
    For general purpose...Barkrivers Lil boone [A-2 steel], Marbles fieldcraft/trailcrafts [U.S. made], Attending one of the larger gun shows would be beneficial. Many vendors carry these brands and others and you can look at many different styles.
    One Case brand knife that might be of interest is their XX-Changer. Its a large folding knife with leather case that includes 3 additional blades along with the one on the knife. You can change from Clip point, Drop point, Saw blade and Gut hook or opt for the one that includes a Filet blade instead of the saw. A most useful tool for the Woodsman or hunter.

4. Shop Rat

Shop Rat Guest

For deer, I like the Gerber Gator with a partial serated blade. I have a folding and a non folding. That is good low priced knife. For small game, I have a small buck, but it is nothing special.

5. Frantz

Frantz

6. Whit1

Whit1 Premium Member

7. LTCracc

LTCracc

I spend alot on hunting equip but my buddy told me to go with the Gerber Gator. That s.o.b is sharp and was around $40.

8. Anderson

Anderson

I have several knives. I've got both folders and fix blades. I started with a buck 110 but currently carry a Boker folder. I like the shorter blade on the Boker. I plan on making some knives for my boys for xmas. Current thought is a drop point blade in the 2.75 to 3.5 inch range. It will have about a 4 inch handle and will try to make something with good balance. My suggestion is spend some time @ Cabelas seeing how the knife fits your hand and go from there.

9. passthru

passthru Guest

One of the best knives Ive ever used was one made by Bob Dozier. They are expensive but worth every penny. I finally got one for Christams this past season. They are made from heat treadted D2 tool steel and hold and edge like none other. They hold a better edge than any stainless steel Ive ever used(even ATS-34). They run about $200 but please do your self a favor and check out their site.

Jason

www.dozierknives.com

10. Shop Rat

Shop Rat Guest

Someday, I am going to get one or two of these. Is this the place right on US2? I think I drove past there on a few hunting trips.

11. Shop Rat

Shop Rat Guest

I am no expert by any means, but I have butchered up to 10 deer in a year. I am impressed by the gators, especially for the price. They hold an edge really well. I think they make a small one, but I only have the bigger ones.

12. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy Guest

13. PA BUCK 2

PA BUCK 2

A friend of many gave me a custom rapid river knife. Great knife- that hard steel holds an edge well. I almost feel bad hunting with it- pretty knife.

14. 45/70fan

45/70fan

15. Thunderhead

Thunderhead

I always carry 2. A custom Rapid River Knife Co. ( Made in Michigan's U.P.) skinner and Stag Bowie. The heavy bowie really comes in handy for clearing brush, branches or whatever.

Olsen OK out of Howard City Mi. made a helluva knife too. I see them on Ebay now and then. One of the most well made knives I've ever had the pleasure to carry. They went out of business 30 years ago.........