Hunting Knives

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by superposed20ga, Dec 19, 2005.

1. superposed20ga

superposed20ga Premium Member

I was curious as to the knives some of you prefer to use on game. There are so many good ones out there that I guess its hard to go wrong. I've been using the Marble's Woodcraft fixed blabe for deer hunting for a couple years now and found that its the sharpest knife I've ever had. I have a couple of Case locking folders that I like for rabbits and other small game, but I just bought the new Buck Alpha Dorado and it looks like it was made for rabbits. Anyone else?

2. the old archer

the old archer Guest

I have a freind who makes custom knives and sheaths to match, so I use his creations. My favorite for small game is one made from a straight razor with an antler handle and brass bolsters and butt piece. It stays sharp for a long time and is easy to work with.

For deer he has made me one with a gut hook and another with a drop point blade. Both are wonderfully made pieces that I will use as long as I live.

I collect Marbels knives, so I know what you mean about their sharpness.

Best of luck, Arch

3. Shepherd

Shepherd Guest

Before I started making knives.....I used our kitchen paring knife:D Don't tell my wife, or she would freak out:yikes: ;)

4. Rupestris

Rupestris

I use a Bark River Woodland. 3" drop point, convex ground A2 steel blade w/micarta slabs. Outstanding knife.

I've also used a Gerber LST Jr., Benchmade Mini Griptilian, and an old Imperial Drop Point Hunter made in the early 70's but still like new.

5. Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster Premium Member

Knives of Alaska Brown Bear combo with stag grips. Heavy, but built to handle anything. They have a couple newer combos out that are still strong, but a bit lighter, may have to get one of those. Also, Buck Alpha Hunter with the gut hook, did two deer with that this year and worked perfectly, held a pretty good edge as well. Someday I'll add a Marbles or such to the collection.

I also have a couple Remington Grizzly lockbacks that hold a pretty darn good edge for inexpensive knives, but the checkered rubber grips are a nightmare to clean once they fill with fat etc.....not worth the work to use them for field dressign chores anymore.

6. weatherby

weatherby

I do like the marbles knives also except i have a hard time keepin them from rustin no matter how much iol i put on them

7. Mickey Finn

Mickey Finn One of the good guys

For years I used a Schrade old timer. Then some one gave me a nice bone handled jobber made from an old saw blade. This was stolen along with many hand tools. So, now I use a Buck rubber handled one with a gut hook. I like this one very much. It holds an edge pretty well.

8. tommytubular

tommytubular

I have my grandfathers, fathers and my first hunting knife.....all marbles

but have been using a cutco for the last few years and it is impressive

for rabbits....I use game shears

9. kumma

kumma

Main knife is good old Buck 110. A little to big but works fine. I picked up a Rapid River Knife Works Skinner model this year, very nice knife, sadley the deer didnt cooperate so i used it on roasts and steaks, works great. :p

10. john warren

john warren

i have an old 4 inch solengen i've been using since 1964

11. uptracker

uptracker

Rapid River (AKA: Wolverine) Droppoint in Northwoods camo. Marbles are junk since they went to mass production about 5 years ago.

12. BarryPatch

BarryPatch

Spyderco Chinook. Great Knife.

13. tmanmi

tmanmi

Up until 3 years ago I used an old WWII marine or army combat knife my brother found with his metal detector in the mid seventies. My wife got me a Smith & Wesson 150th anniversary hunters set that had a bullseye gut hook knife, double blade folding knife, and diamond sharpening tool 3 Christmas's ago. Life has been much easier since then.

14. Huntsman27

Huntsman27 Guest

Collect the stag handle jobs [trailcraft/woodcraft and all the others], and the Case Trappers of all types/colors/materials.

15. Youper

Youper Guest

My favorite is my Marble's Plainsman with a stacked leather hilt. The blade shape and the leather surface work well for me.