Hunting Apparel - New Suit?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by ckosal, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Fattroutlounge

Fattroutlounge

You don’t need camo to kill a deer. You need camo to increase your odds of not getting spotted in a tree.

if you are religious about odor management and / or hunting the wind (stands with wind in your face and movement perpendicular to wind), you can still get picked off.

blue and white are the two worst colors in the spectrum. Deer can see both well.

Groundsize likes this.
  2. Fattroutlounge

Fattroutlounge

Scentlok is being massively out paced in innovation by other players. They are half the price. Zippers and gloves are not that great. Quality at times poor. Design choices not that great but usable.

Martian likes this.

3. Fattroutlounge

Fattroutlounge

What are people wearing for base layer and mid-layer for late season?

I don’t believe merino as a base is your best option. And anything synthetic has elastic which is terrible (spandex, Lycra, elastase, etc). Despite its warmth, Poly has its own issues - mainly odor, feel, sound and breath ability.

any experience is helpful.

4. Skibum

Skibum Premium Member

I picked up the First Lite Solitude jacket and bibs last year during their tag soup sale and I consider them the best bowhunting combination I've ever found. Dead silent, comfortable, and they hit the sweet spot of normal temps from 30 - 50's that we normally see. I have an old Sitka Fanatic jacket that has been a great piece although I never lover the diagonal zipper. It's warmer than the Solitude but bulkier. If it's really windy or cold I'll switch it out. If it is really cold the Heater Body Suit comes out. For baselayers I mostly wear merino layers. I have an old Sitka 90% vest I'll sometimes use as well as a puffy vest if it's colder. I generally pack my jacket and hat to dump heat on the walk in and climb into my stand. I like the idea of plastic bags and fresh socks. I've used spray antiperspirant on my feet at times to keep them from sweating.

5. Slimits

Slimits

For me the solitude from first lite is a great 25-40 deg system. Not sure i could wear it warmer than that. You can beat merino wool base layers. -10 to 30 deg i use sitka fanatic which is greay for keeping warm but sticks out like a sore thumb

6. skipper34

skipper34

I would still like to hear from anyone who has used Kryptek? I switched to all Kryptek last year and I love it for the fact that IMO it is everything the higher priced stuff is. And like I said before, their Highlander camo pattern is superb.

7. aacosta

aacosta

Going to switch to kryptek for next season. Lots of good reviews I've read and price point is right

8. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium

Regarding sweaty feet...use an unscented deodorant spray of your feet. I do this ice fishing and the feet stay dry and warm. Really makes a difference!

Skibum likes this.
  9. mrt6893

mrt6893

i really like my aegis bibs waterproof and quiet with full length leg zippers and they also come in longer lengths. i also have there bora set for mid season amazing gear.

10. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

Yep, that was a problem for me as well but since I started using baking soda sprinkled in my boots my feet stay dry and thus warmer.

Richard Cranium likes this.