Hunting Apparel - New Suit?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by ckosal, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Firefighter

Firefighter

You must not have the Sanctuary set, because it's far and away the warmest, quietest stand outerwear I've ever seen. It's perfect for close up whitetail hunting in cold weather.

hk_sl8 likes this.
  2. Waif

Waif

Great idea the Mrs. has.

Not seeing as many multi season offerings with liners.
    If not for archery hunting , a duck hunting parka come to mind. (Assuming many still have liners and shed water .)
    Trying one on would matter to test for noise , fit ,ect..
    I have a parka that has a slight "crinkle" sound when arms are flexed.
    Deer have not noticed it ,but it bugs me still.

Otherwise ,a slightly oversized shell allows layers. Or at least a good vest.

When budget was tight ,sensible (per fit) layers worked. Multiple vests were exchanged as temps went down,with down in coldest weather. Polyester in above freezing temps. That old poly vest was from motorcycle days/nights including in snow under an army coat.

3. Groundsize

Groundsize

This is the First Flight gear? What dealing did you buy it through and were you able to try it on prior to purchase?

thanks

buckhead likes this.
  4. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

Nope, but that looks like it would do the trick. All the shopping I do at first lite and I didn’t gene know they made something that heavy.

5. Groundsize

Groundsize

I agree!!! I ordered some carbon powder this year to throw into my toots with my gear, cloths, and boots. I also got new toots with better lids, and I also got an Ozone machine to throw into a room and kill all sent on my clothes and gear prior to hunts. It was only $60 bucks. I have a program for myself that I believe has worked very well the past 3 years.

brewster likes this.
  6. d_rek

d_rek

The sanctuary set is a late season beast.

But I tend to agree that they have both extremes covered well - lightweight and heavyweight - but kind of have a gap to fill with midseason garments. The Woodbury jacket is very nice (essentially the sanctuary jacket with less insulation) but they lack a midseason lightly insulated set of pants or bibs.

Since I know my personal limits as far as temperature goes I think I have everything covered from 80-0F with my FL gear this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. ckosal

ckosal Addicted2hunting4 Premium Member

I blind hunt for gun season. And i have always had great intentions of late season archery but come December i am generally in the dog house at home for being in trees every weekend in October and early November and then blinds Nov-Dec. So, I am rarely in need of a super heavy suit.

Our blinds have heaters. So, I might be able to skip the sanctuary and go with the Woodbury for cold Bow hunts. Don't get me wrong a Nov 10th morning sit in a tree can be mighty cold but it isn't as cold at muzzy season.

I will say to the post above about tree stand being a different thing than stalking that I am not sure i completely agree. There is certainly truth to that, but honestly my biggest issue on getting cold is that i walk in a long way with my gear. I do not take quads/ ranger back in the woods. So, i find when I hunt my east line (camp is on west line) and i walk in it takes me about a 45-60 mins to walk in. Even on a 20 degree morning when i get to the stand i am sweating. I carry my bow, camera gear, snacks, field dress gear, clothes, calls, binos, etc. My scentlok stuff never breathed. I tried to take off the outer layers and just walk with light pants and hoody (and a base layer) and then throw my heavier suit on at the entry point, but when i do that i find myself sweating profusely the first 30 minutes of the sit and then freezing profusely from the cold sweat the rest of the hunt. The moisture just gathered and turned to ice. I can't tell you how many times i sat uncomfortably in the stand so i didn't let my clothes touch my lower back because they were ice cold.

I think First lite sounds like they might have that situation better covered? I am going to call tomorrow. See what they say. My fear is when i put the stuff in a basket on their web site... it adds up very quickly. Seems like they have everything perfectly imperfect meaning I find it necessary to add both the light base layers, the mid and the heavy. Then a lite shell and then a heavier one. a light hat and then a heavier one. That takes me right back to where i am now with 5 totes of crap jamming up the bunk house. I want a solution that is multi dimensional. Maybe it doesn't exist.

I am going to call scent lok too and see if they have a suggested combo.

8. Buy any suit you want. Wash it in scent soap (by hand if you don’t have a separate washer and dryer that’s never had anything but scent control soap in it) and buy coconut shell carbon powder and put your suit in a air tight tub with a teaspoon full of the carbon powder and shake it up. Use zeolite powder in your rubber boots. I wear scentlok but I would take the carbon powder over a scent suit any day. Since I started using it my mature buck sightings went way up and so did my success. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walt Donaldson likes this.
  9. d_rek

d_rek

Oh it adds up way too quickly lol... but so does Sitka and other gear companies. Nothing is cheap anymore. Check out their discontinued section you might be able to snag a few pieces cheaper there.

As for footprint I went from 5 large 20gal totes down to 2 smaller 15 gal totes after I offloaded all of my Scentlok and other misc gear that had piled up. I’m planning on using my FL for spring turkey too, so was able to get rid of separate camo for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

I switched to the Sitka Fanatic last year and it is a very warm and well thought out piece of gear. I usually don't hunt whitetails until November, so I just wear the jacket over a light pair of bibs or pants. Come cold weather, the stuff is incredible. I was bow hunting between Christmas and New Year in 10* weather last year and was very warm.

IceHog likes this.
  11. Fattroutlounge

Fattroutlounge

I started using ozone 3 years ago. I won't use it anymore. Ozone leaves an odor on the clothing. I've had more failed hunts since using it than successes. I was religious about, even tried ozonics -- which does work to some degree -- but seems to spook more animals than disguise your scent. I've used Scentlok, Icebreakers, UA, FirstLite, ArcticPro.

What I am looking for now is a solid base and 2nd layer to replace / compliment my aging UA compression from 2006. I still have these products. They still work. I'm reluctant to try merino as a base layer b/c it is an ACTIVE product vs a passive tree stand product. Merino excels with moisture. It will actually heat the more wet you get. The evaporation creates heat.

Now imagine Merino next to your skin -- hydrophilic. And then, you put a hydrophobic layer over the top with a synthetic. I really don't know how well this will work. The merino is going to continue absorbing water the entire day. And although you won't get cold, it accumulate weight. This is one reason why Kuiu moved to a line of synthetic separate of merino. Combining these does not deliver any real benefit.

From my experience, what I have learned is that in cold weather, my jacket is dripping wet on the inside as moisture is pulled from my body and condensation.

I'm looking for 2-4 pieces of upper to go with a Scentlok Hydrothermic bib and jacket. What I wear now is a under armour compression, 1-2 synthentic insulation layers, on top - the firstlite umcompagre (sp?) vest and then the Scentlok. It's a bit michelin man at times. But I candidly don't think it's going to keep me on 6 hour sits when the wind is 20-30 and the temp is in the 20s or teens.

I'd be interested on any advice to layer below the scentlok.

PS -- I love the cold. A passive cold becomes an extreme challenge.

12. skipper34

skipper34

I am very surprised that nobody mentions Kryptek. It is as good as the other more expensive outfits but about a third less money. And I love the Highlander camo pattern.

13. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

Great choices on the layers!
    I have a rigid scent free regiment that I use and ScentLok isn't part of it. No need, IMO, to abandon good scent reduction practices with whatever you decide to deploy.

Groundsize likes this.
  14. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

I've had the scent lok full season since the first season they came out with the set. 15 years ago?? It's been great and I still use it. I've pretty much abandoned it's carbon effectiveness and just try to be scent free as I can. Everything gets washed, all layers, after 2 hunts until I start hunting mornings in late october then it might go 4 sets when I hunt consecutive days. More important than anything is starting with a clean and scent free washing machine. You might as well not bother with any scent regimen if you're not washing every load with anything but scent free soap 100% of the year.

After getting pretty chilly sunday night I decided to break down and get a new suit and ended up getting 2 jackets and one pants. A mid season jacket and pants and late season jacket. It's Scheels brand and came with great reviews. More than one person compared the fit, finish and quality to sitka but we'll see.

Making sure your boots are always in a tote with fresh carbon powder has because just as important as spraying down with scent killer before the hunt.

Another thing for boots is a boot dryer. You're feet sweat and stink and that will escape your boots while on stand. Drying them out after each hunt really helps. Some guys use Zeolite in their tote but a few years ago I start using baking soda. It soaks up any moisture and scent and I can buy it at the grocery store. I sprinkle it all over my in my tote and leave the open box in there like you would in your fridge.

https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-scheels-outfitters-highwood-insulated-parka/17708-18HIGPRKWR.html
    https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-scheels-outfitters-antler-river-jacket/17708-18ANTJWR.html

Richard Cranium and Groundsize like this.
  15. ckosal

ckosal Addicted2hunting4 Premium Member

I might be getting back in to the game of scent lok again. I went all Sitka and am in my third year with it. I have been busted more this year than the last 10 years combined. Wind has been swirling on me a LOT. Last weekend over a 4 hour sit the wind moved from right in my face to coming in almost behind me. In my scent lok days it wasn't ideal, but i could frequently have deer right in front of me at 10 yards reacting like they sense something but don't smell it clearly even in bad wind. This year in my Sitka suit i have had had far too many noses up, noses licked and worst of all...hiss/snorts and runs.

I use a washer/dryer that only uses scent free soap. I shower with scent free soap. I keep my gear in a scent crush locker and use the ozone after every hunt and i spray myself and gear down with scent away sprays.

I feel like the carbon in the suits isn't enough/perfect but is additive to the above and protects me. On top of that, although i agreed initially with the concept of the Sitka patterns which are heavy in a bright back drop color (with the idea being the deer are looking up and your background is both trees and clouds/sky - thus white), i feel like this time of year it doesn't work. For about two weeks the woods are brown and orange and I am white/green. I have pines i sit in and the pattern is fine. Ash... birch.. sure. But when i sit in a hardwood tree and the leaves are orange.. I feel like i am wearing neon at a funeral.

I spent a ton of jack on my gear... but i am also reconsidering... I picked Sitka over First light but in retrospect......

Also - i am really struggling with the sweat issue. My walks are long to stand. I carry a lot of gear (probably too much). And i am in average shape for a 50 year old guy. I walk in with only my base layers and bib/pants. I keep all base layers unzipped. exposing skin to elements. Nonetheless when i get on stand and am ready to put my clothes on which i packed in... i am sweating. I do not have the experience of that sweat getting warm. Quite the opposite. Generally it is freezing cold within 30 mins making the rest of my sit uncomfortable regardless of how many layers i bring with me to add on.

All ears to fix this...

Groundsize likes this.