close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunting a pointer with flushers

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by Pheasant chaser, Apr 15, 2018 at 3:27 PM.

1. Pheasant chaser

Pheasant chaser

Hi, I received the green light from my wife to add to our home's dog population. We have two labs that I hunt with but would like to get a GSP. Had one when I was kid, and before I get too old to chase birds I would like the opportunity to have a well trained GSP. Are there any inherent problems running a flushing dog along side a pointer? Thanks

2. Mount Sweetness

Mount Sweetness

You can make it work.
    But for the first season or two, I would suggest hunting the GSP alone to get it properly trained.

3. Captain Sea Cow

Captain Sea Cow

Your pointer ain’t gonna like it when your flushers blast by flushing his bird.. speaking from experience.. lol

gundogguy likes this.
  4. BDK

BDK

I did it for about (13) years. Worked fine. I grouse and woodcock hunted Michigan with good success, worked even better out west.

Captain Sea Cow likes this.
  5. birdhntr

birdhntr

I have done it for a long time with no problems.It is a great combo for pheasants especially out west.The gsp will need to be trained without labs around.And if you can't control the labs they will learn fast what a point means and steal the bird for sure.I had a lab that I would heel then release to flush while my gsp held point.A long time ago when we new little and just started upland hunting and the lab would run in and bust every point in sight.If a pointer even stopped to pee he ran in expecting a bird.We were pheasant hunting and they tend to run a lot and the gsps were not always steady due to lack of training and running birds but we did get a ton of birds.Grouse and Woodstock would be much different

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018 at 9:36 PM
    Lamarsh and Captain Sea Cow like this.
  6. gundogguy

gundogguy

:help: Yup running a mixed pack of dogs in the upland is a like acquaintance of mine.
    He spends half his money on booze and babes and the other half he just blows.

If you can train with this guy you will be fine!

NATTY BUMPO and Captain Sea Cow like this.
  7. birdhntr

birdhntr

dang them poachers.lol.After experiencing the lab traits and drive,and poaching i with my first lab trained for handling and sit to whistle was top priority.He never disobeyed.It was great When grouse hunting and he caught scent i could sit him then close in and then release.Sometimes he would go another 20 feet and flush the bird.lots of fun.I believe you mentioned before that you used the spaniels to flush with pointers.Was the process similar?

8. gundogguy

gundogguy

Yup! I had a number of dogs that I could mix and match. I was guiding hunts all over the map and needed dog power to produce birds for clients, and to make my job easier. Hunting and training some 300 days each year. For the average hunting guy maybe more training time invested than it is worth. When it pertains to flushing dogs i still think the ideal is one dog one gun get'r done!

NATTY BUMPO, birdhntr and Nostromo like this.
  9. jasonmichalski

jasonmichalski Darkhouse Ninja

[​IMG]
    We used to do it all the time it worked fine, the lab would stay near my uncles side and help hunt died or flush.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

10. RecurveRx

RecurveRx

It’s a lot like having a wife and a girlfriend. Sounds like a good time, but rarely worth the trouble.

11. Nostromo

Nostromo

True that. Seriously, a GSP is a versatile hunter originally intended to do away with the need for multiple dogs. Some guys who don't like the idea of force fetching run a English pointing dog and a retriever. This way the second dog can go pick up the bird while the pointer does what he does best (stand there).

12. Setter

Setter

My setters are natural retrievers, so there is no need to have another dog to retrieve the birds.

Nostromo likes this.
  13. Nostromo

Nostromo

:Modified_ Nobody said anything about "setters" pal. lol