Hunter etiquette/ respect

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by johnhunter247, Oct 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

How far away should everyone stay from the stand that you setup on September 1st?

Is there a minimum number of acres that you are claiming exclusive rights to?

Tilden Hunter and DM90 like this.
  2. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

If you want the big one down there the competition comes with it. Good luck!

3. John Hine

John Hine

Sorry for the situation John. I’ve hunted state land my entire life & I can tell you your way of thinking about mutual hunter respect is spot on for the way things should be, unfortunately in this day & age people have tossed respect right out the window & traded it for what’s best for ME! Sounds to me your time would be better spent elsewhere. No 150”er is gonna hang around all that commotion anyway. Good luck

4. skipper34

skipper34

Yes indeed. I shot a nice 9 pt. In 2018 up in Presque Isle public land. I have 3 big 8’s on cams this year. Yes there are lots of good deer up north.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

DM90 likes this.
  5. Chessieman

Chessieman

Sounds like he is trying to get under your skin but as mentioned what if he would have set up first. Sounds like he is winning, so play the game. Cigarette butts on the ground under his stand (pick one). A small treated bait pile within range of his stand. Being a property owner of hunting land, you think, is anybody trespassing? I try to put this out of my mind rather than stew on it in your mind. Had at least 3 people at a close hunting property this weekend. I do not think about them trespassing, just let them scrace all the deer to my place and theirs becomes the deer desert like usual. Another note, I put up unremovable cameras for prosecution if needed. Held in place by heating duct banding and helix decking screws. Good luck and do yourself a favor, RELEX!

EDIT: You can always go what JR does and burn a fat one walking out! :bouncy:

jiggin is livin likes this.
  6. tdejong302

tdejong302

Its been my experience doesn't matter how early you set up alot of hunters don't care anymore. Many want to reap the benefits of your work, time and labor. I tried hunting public land and had nothing but issues. The hunters that set up blinds close to me where doing it knowing I was close. I had some come thru and apologize and leave but that was a small minority. Most felt and said its public land I'm hunting where I want. I like you chose to hunt there anyway. Sadly it led to dismal results. So this all being said... whats more important making a point w/ this person or you enjoying your hunting and having better success hunting. I know its frustrating however sometimes you just have to pick up and move.

djd and DM90 like this.
  7. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

No sir, I'd put a stand up above his. Then burn one and look down and tell him I am higher then you

8. I’m sure you have got to be kidding right? Have you even read any of this thread? I haven’t come out here like I own the place. I was however the first one to set up here. I was in the same tree last year too. This guy decides
    “Knowing my stand is there” to set up two stands right on top of me. So if I’m out here “first” in the morning you think I should be okay with him coming in knowing I’m there and hunting on top of me? Are you serious? It has nothing to do with thinking I own the place. You honesty can’t have any common sense or respect for your fellow hunter if you think that’s okay. Myself when I come in to hunt I want to be a good 300 yds or so away from anyone else. I absolutely don’t want to cut anyone off or impose on another hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Bucman

Bucman

Bahahahaha i needed that JR!

jr28schalm likes this.
  10. mbrewer

mbrewer

In general, I think a hundred yards is making a respectful effort but the lay of the land is what dictates how their presence will affect you. Asking someone to move that hasn't already offered is a foregone conclusion and exercise in frustration.

The problem is looks like you are doing what everyone does and setting up on a swamp edge. Every edge like that gets slammed. If it's not them it would be somone else.

I'd set up a ground attack back up position that a cautious deer might use to skirt the pressure. Maybe somewhere short of your current destination but just off the creek you use for ingress.

I had a blue jay land in my tree with corn in his mouth yesterday and I'm a long way from any cornfield or gas stations. Looks like I need to make some adjustments too.

jrose, Tilden Hunter, DM90 and 3 others like this.
  11. kingfisher 11

kingfisher 11

John I understand why you told him you had the stand up Sept 1. Hoping the guy would a good guy and move on. As you can see morality has went out the window with the hunting nation. It might be legal to move in on someone hunting state land but knowing hang a stand within eye sight is not should not be who we are.
    That is why I don't hunt any public land in lower MI. I have decided no big buck is worth the hassle here. I go out of state for that. Now I can enjoy myself in the NWLP and possibly shoot a 150" but I never expect to.

U of M Fan and jr28schalm like this.
  12. JohnnyB87

JohnnyB87

Yea thats ridiculous, its part of the game but it shouldn't be. Guys not familiar with the area, you have to understand the type of aint rights that he's dealing with. People from the city coming in from the east, and the degenerates from Jackson:). I know its bad to make these generalizations, but these aren't your average sportsman many of you might be accustomed too lol. Not that the other areas by Manchester or Gregory are that much better, but waterloo is special!

My take aways. Sorry to hear about your limited mobility, but seems like hanging a stand really worked against you this year. Leave a climber hidden in the brush? Maybe if you get a good buck on camera out there, take the camera down immediately? One guy mentioned " word got out" on a buck he was hunting. Reminded me of the golden rule of hunting and fishing, TELL NO ONE! Not saying that he did, but it was a good reminder for me.
    Its sounds like you put a lot of time and enegery in. I hope it works out for you. More over I hope you don't have to hunt south east michigan state land next year!

13. aacosta

aacosta

You only have 1 spot? No backups?

14. #1wallygator

#1wallygator

You taking the high road will only empower that pos to feel he can get away with disrespecting anyone anytime which is probably his normal anyway. Give him a taste of his own medicine. He ruins your hunt every time he sets up on top of you, do what you think is right to ruin his.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  15. mbrewer

mbrewer

TMI. Pics and discriptions of public land hotspots on a public forum? Nope.

I assume the readers and countless lurkers here are the competition and behave accordingly when it comes to location specific information. Word gets out that you're on a good buck or have a history of doing so and you're gonna have company.

It kinda sucks to be like that but it is what it is. Productive and secluded public land locations are damned hard to find and short lived even under the best of circumstances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.