Hunter etiquette/ respect

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by johnhunter247, Oct 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

I found this part of the initial post interesting. As we're talking public land, I'd hate to think that your placing of the stand gave you first rights for the season.

What would you do if the guy 70 yards away got to his stand first?

Did you mention siting right under him?

Zoiks!

Lever4ever, Tilden Hunter and DM90 like this.
  2. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

No offense brother. But you may not be cutout for public land hunting.

3. I already mentioned he will never get there first. That’s for sure. Saturday morning I think I waited 45 minutes hoping for him to show up and he finally did. I wanted him to show up so we could discuss him setting up on top of me. But getting there before me is probably never going to happen. Because it’s state land I get out there very early and usually hunt dark to dark. I think you might need to read back through. I clearly said if he was mobile and set up next to my stand is no big deal if I’m not there or even hunt my set. But with me there when he shows up and thinks it’s okay to hunt that close is ridiculous. To set up a stand on top of another hunters set up is quite ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anagranite likes this.
  4. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

Go up North man. Lots of woods to roam. I couldn't imagine hunting 75 yards from some one. There's a few people around me but I try not to hunt real close by. You sure can tell when a area gets blown out.

mbrewer, monkman and vsmorgantown like this.
  5. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

This may not be a popular opinion, but I am not afraid to setup right next to someone's stand. I use a climber and have dozens of spots across several properties scouted. If I get to the spot first, my expectation is to be able to hunt the area. If someone is already there I will leave to another area, usually far enough away that we would be seeing different deer or at least a different pattern. I wouldnt settle for leftovers or try to cut the deer off going to them. Knock on wood, it has been over 2 years since I have seen someone else deer hunting during archery season on public land.

Gun season last year was a different story and I was totally disgusted by what I saw.

6. skipper34

skipper34

Just what has that got to do with hunting 10 acres?

Tilden Hunter likes this.
  7. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

8. skipper34

skipper34

Sorry still in the dark. You're a mod, right? Then come clean and tell me what the numbers mean.

9. sureshot006

You appeared to imply he should hunt elsewhere to get away from other hunters and talked about NELP. He's after big bucks. Not something the size of a SLP 2 yr old.

jr28schalm likes this.
  10. skipper34

skipper34

Any other snarky remarks, moderator?

11. sureshot006

I respect your choice of hunting ground and what you enjoy about it. It just is not at all what he's looking for, buddy.

12. grouse25

grouse25

I know of two 150-160 inch deer killed on stateland this past weekend in northern Michigan. I know there’s more too the south but there’s big bucks too be had up north too. Like stated by others, I’ll trade the deer numbers and maybe tougher hunting for peace, quiet, and the woods too myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

13. TheSteelDeal

TheSteelDeal Premium Member

2 150+ In northern Michigan in the same weekend?? Where do you consider “northern” to begin? I’d like to hear more about this...

14. grouse25

grouse25

Not my pics too share lol, as much as I would like too. One in the houghton lake area and one west of Cadillac.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.