Hunter etiquette/ respect

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by johnhunter247, Oct 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. To start off I haven’t hunted state land in 20 plus years before last season. But when I did my main goal was to find fresh sign. Goal two which I would never consider breaking was to not be near another hunter. If I seen a stand I would find somewhere else. I absolutely wouldn’t want to be hunting on top of someone else. Mainly out of respect for the guy that put in the work to put up a stand where he decided to be. Even in Waterloo area where it was tough to find anywhere that didn’t have a stand. What distance would you guys consider being respectful of other hunters when hanging stands for hinting spots in an area you find other stands? Asking because where I hunt on state land guys set up a stand about 70 yds to my east and another about 50 yds directly behind me. I’m thinking if they are willing to do that then probably the guy that stole my camera as well. I met him Saturday morning in the dark and explained to him my stand was up on September 1st right at daylight and I didn’t appreciate him setting up right on top of me and he saw no problem with it. I’m I wrong for it bothering me? Am I in the right? I’m curious what others think and would do in this situation? With my legs I can’t really be mobile and keep moving around. I need to have a set up in one spot. My main question is what’s the ethical distance these guys should give me of any? They aren’t beating me out there in the morning as I get out really early. But these guys seem to not care if I’m there or not. So first come first serve doesn’t help in this situation. I asked him to move his stands because I was set up there first. What’s your guys thoughts or even your advice? I killed a great deer there last year abs I live the spot. But let’s hear your thoughts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Tom Fine

Tom Fine

Every person is different. I personally would try and avoid areas with stands. I am hunting state land this year and have lucked out and haven’t come across anybody in the woods yet. I avoid weekends and hunt primarily weekdays so that helps. I use a climber and have multiple options. One stand did pop up about 150 yards from where I use my climber. This guy wouldn’t have known that I was hunting there because I don’t leave anything in the woods other than a camera in some areas. I still am going to hunt that tree because I have a couple of huge bucks on camera in that area. I do have to walk by his stand to get to my tree so if he was there I would turn around and go to one of my other spots. It helps though hunting weekday mornings where I’m not too worried about running into other hunters. How did the conversation go with him?

3. Waif

Waif

I'd rather you or I not hunt the same sites deer at the same time.
    It's fine if we are trying to get each other on deer. Even at the risk of bothering deer.
    But setting up on a stranger? I don't care for the idea.
    The same deer? Or the same route? Maybe. Not liking the idea as much as a deer not looking for me though.
    But I'd rather hunt without direct competition. It goes both ways , but does it up my or another hunters odds by playing crowd each other?
    That's (staying out of shooting range of each other) not going to be the norm where hunter numbers are up.
    Been there!
    Seen some odd behavior. More odd during firearm seasons hazards/line of fire as far as safety.

In fairness , there are hunters that don't deliberately crowd others.
    They can seem to be the minority when you're being crowded though...

4. JS714

JS714

Agreed that everyone is different, but things like what happened to the OP are more from running into the indifferent. It is public land, so there is no first come first served. It's shared...but a real sportsman should give an existing setup a couple hundred yard berth. When you run into someone like that though, it's a sad fact that there really is no "high road" choice other than to move out. With three stands in a 70 yard circle, the hunting would certainly be diminished and that's what you're there for, not confrontation. I hope you find a new place without all the BS to deal with. Best of luck to you...

5. U of M Fan

U of M Fan Premium Member

Having stands in the same area doesn’t surprise me on state land down here. But I think once they seen you that they should have hunted somewhere else. First come, first serve. It’s public land and nobody can really claim an area but I think that if someone is there before you, when your out there hunting, they should give you some space.

As a public land hunter, it’s why I’ve hunted the U.P. for so long.

6. U of M Fan

U of M Fan Premium Member

To give you guys an idea of what John is talking about. There are 5 tree stands, including John’s, in about a 10 acre area. Those are just the ones that I know of.

slabstar, DM90 and jiggin is livin like this.
  7. Badfishmi

Badfishmi

I hunt public on the weekdays only and private on weekends. With that said because someone places a tree stand in an area does not make it theirs. As I use a saddle I never sit same tree twice. If I hike a mile in with sticks and so forth and find awesome fresh sign I’m setting up if another human isn’t present. If someone is in the act of hunting I would never set up near them or in the same area.

8. skipper34

skipper34

5 stands on 10 acres? I would be finding a new place to hunt even if I had to drive a few hours. Combat hunting just ain't for me. That's why I hunt public in northern Michigan. Less deer but absolutely no bowhunters and very few firearm hunters. That many stands in such a small area is just asking for trouble.

9. Tom Fine

Tom Fine

Yea that ain’t no good. I would avoid that then.

DM90 likes this.
  10. wpmisport

wpmisport

I have had way more problems with non hunters than with hunters. Dirt bikers, party crowed, ext.
    That being said I would say 150 yards for bow and 300 yards for gun season.

11. Flight of the arrow

Flight of the arrow Premium Member

If this is the same hunter that you talked to, could he be doing this to discourage you and hopefully you would pull your stand and leave the area for him?
    It’s been years since I’ve deer hunted public, but there are occasions I would turkey hunt national forest up north and that’s a whole different ballgame then deer. But why would I want to crowd myself against another hunter and diminish my hunt other than for the soul purpose of diminishing yours? Just a thought .
    Flight

12. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

He's after 160" not 100".

jr28schalm likes this.
  13. He thought it was okay that we were 70 yds apart hunting the same field. It didn’t bother him either that my scent (perfect for my spot)was blowing directly at him. I’m taking my double bull fold up chair with me and leaving it at the bottom of my tree. If it happens again and he persists I’m going to grab my chair and sit directly underneath him. If it does t bother him to be on top of me then what the hell. I might even play some music right at day light. Haven’t decided yet how to play this out. For me it comes down to respect for your fellow hunter. Obviously this guy has none and is why I suspect he is probably my the camera thief. I can’t be sure of that but wouldn’t be surprised. One poster the other day mentioned he probably looked through the sd card and seen a nice buck and that’s why he set up on top of me. I guess I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case. The whole reason I’m asking your guys opinion is I’m wondering if I’m in the wrong for being upset by this. I completely understand that it’s state land. I completely get it. But my stuff was set up at the first moment of light this year that you were allowed to hang stands and I was the only one back there. It’s not like this guy has a mobile set abd is hunting only if I’m not there. He set up right on top of me with the intention of not caring if I’m there or not. In my mind I think that is completely ridiculous. Maybe I am completely wrong. But that’s the way I feel. Now I feel like if that’s the way he wants to think and doesn’t care I want to dedicate my time to make sure when he is out there he doesn’t want to come back. Anyone who knows me knows that’s not me. I am about as unselfish as you could possibly be. I let youth hunters come into my place abd try to kill my target bucks. I bring friends to Iowa and sacrifice my time hoping to get them on the buck of a lifetime. I’m truly hoping to do just that for snortwheeze here in the near future! But in this situation I honestly don’t think I’m in the wrong and this guy should move along. I wouldn’t even care if he used my stand when I’m not there. I told him that. I offered the same to uofmfan. He is the one that gave me the heads up about what I was going to run into my next time out. But I do not want a any guy coming in abd setting up on top of me and vice versa. Hell I want a 300yd buffer wether I’m looking for a spot or asking a guy to not crowd me. This is the exact reason I truly hate hunting state land. To me it’s a matter of respect for your fellow hunter abd to be honest I’m not sure what’s going through his mind when he decides to go out to hunt abd sit with in 70 yds of another hunter. Just has no common sense in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Sorry man but if you came and sat right underneath me knowing I was already there, I'd probably get the urge pretty quick... hey, is it raining?

15. gatorman841

gatorman841 Premium Member

Maybe just move your stand another 70 yds to give him a little more room

sureshot006 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.