Humminbird PiranhaMAX 190c

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Crazy Axe, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Crazy Axe

Crazy Axe Banned Premium Member

Helping my grandfather look for a new sonar unit for his boat and he seems to like the price/features of this unit. Wondering if anyone else on here has one and has anything to share about it. Likes/dislikes?
    One thing I have to look into (probably from humminbird website) is whether or not this unit is acceptable for use in salt water. He was told that Garmin units are not sealed for saltwater use or someting? Sounds fishy to me (no pun intended) but I just want to make sure he's going to really like whatever he gets.

2. diztortion

diztortion

I have the PiranhaMax 210 portable unit. Works great, easy to transport. Reads accurately. I don't have much complaints other than its 8 AA batteries.

3. Crazy Axe

Thanks.. I don't think we're going to get the portable version. BTW you know if you wanted to switch to a 12v rechargeable (like what they use for vexilar/flashers or even a marine battery) you can wire that up. 8 AA is equivalent to 12v. (8*1.5v=12v)

4. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Couple guys I work with bought them on my recommendation - the one guy I've known for 20+ years ...
    He's happy as a pig in sH!zN!T with his....
    :lol:
    Should be fine in SW or fresh..........

5. Crazy Axe

Thanks Robert! Sounds like he's pretty set on getting that unit. Found it for $199 on amazon, costco, and walmart .com's.. Not a bad deal at all and it will do everything he needs it for. Also it seems to have good reviews online..

6. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Y.W. Sir.......

:)