Humminbird Helix Basemap

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Matt V, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Matt V

Matt V

I am looking into buying a Helix 7 and was wondering what kind of detail the basemap has. It is an extra $50 to purchase the unit with the map, or $125 to purchase a map chip separately. Does the base map have the same detail that the map chip has? Or should I just purchase the chip?

[​IMG]

Humminbird® HELIX 7 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N GPS Fish Finder/Chartplotter
    [​IMG](3)

• Vivid, 7" display
    • MEGA Down Imaging
    • Dual Spectrum CHIRP
    • Low Q CHIRP transducer
    • SwitchFire Sonar dual display modes
    • Basemap of charts and maps of more than 10,000 lakes
    • Built-in Bluetooth wireless connectivity

2. murdermittenkid

murdermittenkid

I have the helix 5 chirp di gps g2. The “base” map that comes with the unit is very basic and only show the major contour lines(not always accurate). I’d suggest getting the chip if your planning on using to find drop offs, points and structure.

3. Matt V

Matt V

Ok, thanks for the reply, that is kind of what I was thinking. I was hoping that the Hbird base maps was better than Lowrance. I will order a map chip.

4. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Buy the map. You will regret it if you dont.

sureshot006 likes this.
  5. Arron Kowalczyk

Arron Kowalczyk

If you want to use depth highlight, make sure you get the Humminbird Lakemaster card. Navionics cards will work fine in a Humminbird unit, but with less functionality.

6. lilsean95

lilsean95

I have the LakeMaster Great lakes ver. 4.0 and it is awesome I also have multiple LakeMaster chips as I travel to Arkansas, Missouri and Illinois so I have multiple chips for all that I do and I would not be in a boat without them. I have 2 Helix 9" SI and DI Gen2. THey are a must. Good luck

sureshot006 likes this.
  7. cb223

cb223

The base map sucks. Only show contour lines every 10 feet approx. I bought the great lakes chip 4v. It's much better. Kind of upsetting that you spend that much on a graph then have to spend $125 more to get a map with detail.

8. Matt V

Matt V

I ordered the Lakemaster chip yesterday for my 899. Going to hold off on the Helix and hope to find a deal on one later in the year.....