close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to.

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by LongLiveFredBear, Feb 11, 2018 at 3:07 PM.

1. LongLiveFredBear

LongLiveFredBear

Just wondering if any one sharpens there own auger blades, if so how. I just don't want to screw mine up.

itchn2fish likes this.
  2. mjh4

mjh4

I bought a sharpener made just for ice blades at I think d&r sports works great. Check local bait shops some sell them there.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

itchn2fish likes this.

3. HRCHLab

HRCHLab

Robinson saw sharpening does a excellent job. Shelby Township

fishinghorseman likes this.
  4. jimbo

jimbo

Mora auger ? I took a piece of metal (3/16 x 5/8 ?) and drill a couple of matching holes in it about 30 yrs ago. I just bolt my blade to that and sharpen just the top as you would a knife. You may want to mark the top of your blades with a marker, so you don't sharpen the bottom. It doesn't hurt to just take one blade off at a time, so you can see how it goes back on.

Doghouse 5 likes this.
  5. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

For the best results would be to get new blades. Especially when mora blades are about $25 new. I've had blades resharpened once years ago and was not happy with the results. I also purchased a blade sharpener and that was a waste of money.

For Lazers I would suggest Swedish steel, its a big difference from the Chinese steel.

Nils there are only 3 places/people in the US that are certified to resharpen these cutting heads.

6. bobberbill

bobberbill

Sponsor Angler's Point. I thought I could sharpen my Lazer blades. Angler's Point fixed em.

7. towner

towner

Glass surface, automotive sandpaper. Start with 400 grit, to 1000 to 1500. Rock blades up to angle with finger tips. very light pressure needed. The only time you touch the flat side is to lightly remove the burr when nearly done. Going on 8 years with my original set of blades. It does take a little time and patience but the that's what retirees do..lol

8. Outdoor2daCore

Outdoor2daCore

I’ll tell ya what is tricky is the curved laser blades, I was able to get a decent edge on them with a fine file, but nothing like factory, today I am actually buying a new set and going to see about sending my old ones out for a professional reshape and see what the difference is

bobberbill likes this.
  9. junkman

junkman

I have had pretty good luck using my oil stone for knife sharpening.Just be very careful and match up the angles correct.I was a machinist years ago and we would sharpen most of our cutting tools by hand.

jimbo likes this.
  10. Stand By

Stand By

I lay down a large flat file and use it like a whet stone.

11. Miidhunter

Miidhunter

Just tried to sharpen a chipper blade for my strikemaster and it’s a waste of time imo. The blade has seen lots of use so it was time to hang up. For $35 bucks for my blade it was well worth the money. So sharp that I cut my finger putting it on lol! Good luck.

12. Lerms

Lerms

I sharpen mine with a surface grinder and finish it with a cardboard wheel. Over kill I know but you can shave your face with it after.

13. michael marrs

michael marrs

I go to a hardware store in Holly, and get them back in one day ,, $5. and they are plenty sharp

14. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member

Some are fairly easy to do while others can present a challenge, what kind of an auger do you have?
    Also and although I sharpen mine I still keep a spare set with me if needed and resharpen the problem ones after I get home.