close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How To Skin A Bear For A Rug Or Full Mount

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by dsconnell, Sep 5, 2008.

1. TVCJohn

TVCJohn

Great "how to" thread!!!!

2. Steelfishin

Steelfishin

If your uncertain how to skin out to the last digit on the claws just leave the whole paw and cut at the wrist joint. That way the taxidermist can do it the correct way and not be fighting to get one or two digits left accidently by someone that didn't know how to do it. I've fought too many times to get one or two that were left by mistake.......Good advice from the guys earlier and remember talk to the taxidermist before you go on your trip so we can give some guidance on how to skin the bear out for the mount you want. Ask the taxidermist for a form book Mckenzie, VanDykes, etc. and just start looking at all the different styles/types of mounts. Also go look at the mounts around the stores. Of course it sometimes depends on the size of bear and availibity of the form sizes. Alot of guys get them skinned out for a rug then change their mind after the fact and like said before the belly skin has less hair making for hiding the seem that much more difficult. :mad:

3. bearstalker

bearstalker

Since my clients are shipping their hides back home from Alaska, would we freeze the paws? Normally, a hide will be around camp a few days, salted and refrigerated. It can't be frozen as the troopers want to seal it green. We salt the heck out of the hide, put it in a heavy waxed box, the client takes it to a trooper station, then mails it or brings it home as baggage. We don't like so much salt, know that it dehydrates the skin, but the time and distance involved, without freezing the hide, make us think that plenty of salt is needed. Dehydration of the skin seems to be a logical way to prevent slipping. Other ways of handling this sure would be welcome knowledge. Some hunters prefer to ship in a cooler. This seems like a good idea, but adds to weight, bulk and expense.

4. Berserker

Berserker

I did a hair on deer hide, and from what I read salting, was important to keeping the hair. They say to salt it within hours if above freezing. It was two days before I did it though 30s-50s. So far hair is ok, but I didn't break it to much.

For salt I went to Fleet Farm and got feed salt, 50lbs around $5. Non iodine salt needs to be used.

5. VennyPursuit

VennyPursuit

6. NancyJ

NancyJ

a link to my you tube video on skinning a bear for a rug. this will make it an easy task !!