How to get started

Discussion in 'Big Lake Cold Water Fishing Reports' started by Maple_Ridge, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Maple_Ridge

Maple_Ridge

Hey guys,

Hope this spring is going well for all of you despite the conditions we are in. Doing well here, just doing what I need to day in- day out and doing a little turkey hunting when I can. Great to be outdoors no matter what I am doing!

So last year at this time I seen that the atlantics were East side lexington/PS area. I seen the pics online here, looked amazing and guys were doing good. Sparked my interest. My sweetie told me about 2 months ago she wanted to "catch a big fish". Welp, hoping to help make that happen. Having not grown up around big water fishing, I don't know much really on tackle/gear needed. More of a deer/turkey outdoors man but those atlantics sure look like fun to catch.

I do have a 19 ft deep V boat with 115 merc. On it, and also have 2 manual downriggers. I'm thinking I would be needing to buy some rod/reels as my other fishin poles are set for walleye.

What I don't know is "How to fish" those silvers really. Hoping someone could give a few pointers to help me get started. I'm only 40 mins from the east shore so it's like I'm too close not to try fishing when the ban gets lifted. Maybe this is more wishful thinking on my part, but this spring I just want to get out there and enjoy every bit of the outdoors. With friends and family too!

Thanks!

kroppe, andyotto and John Hine like this.
  2. fisheater

fisheater

If you can get out in May, the walleye tackle could work. However, this advice comes from a guy that fished in a solo canoe. I run Bomber-type minnows, Kwik Fish / Mag Lips,
    both Deep Thundersticks, the two deepest types of Deep Taildancers, regular and deep Reefrunners, and regular and walleye size spoons.
    I run 15-20lb line, and medium heavy rods. The above tackle is good right out to 40-45 feet deep. Your riggers help from there. I use Torpedo Divers to go deeper.

kroppe and andyotto like this.

3. kroppe

kroppe

@Maple_Ridge Welcome to blue water trolling. This question has been extensively asked, and answered, in great depth and breadth on this site.

In fact, recently, a question very similar to yours was asked in this forum: https://michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/new-to-west-side-trolling.685215/

For starters, have a browse through this site using the search feature. After reading each post on the first five pages of results, you will be in better shape for guidance from the experts here. Welcome to silver species fishing!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    rfcpgp, Doghouse 5 and John Hine like this.
  4. Slimits

Slimits

Getting info on atlantics on huron is like asking if anyone seen a missing diamond ring.

5. andyotto

andyotto

If you follow the thread that Kroppe suggests and apply that to Huron you’ll be fine. Go out with the mindset of catching fish not anything specific. You might get an Atlantic or you might not but you should be able to put fish in the boat. Most likely your walleye stuff will be adequate on Huron you can get into some nice fish in 10-15 lb range but you most likely won’t catch any behemoths like you’d catch on Lake Michigan.

kroppe, Trunkslammer and John Hine like this.
  6. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

7. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

If you want some older good reels to get you started, I'll make you a deal on some sealine 47s, and a few "great lakes" 47s. Same real.

andyotto likes this.
  8. awfulpotent

awfulpotent

20200404_092405.jpg I fish sanilac on a regular basis and my go to and hottest rods are the following 2 ten color lead on big boards and a 300 copper down the shoot on a good day that's all you need on one lead the orange crush is always out and my best catches almost always seem to be midday noon to three 20200404_134901.jpg 20200404_134901.jpg

andyotto likes this.