close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to find the center of a ceiling?

Discussion in 'Michigan Homesteading and Home Improvement' started by kroppe, May 9, 2011.

1. jakeo

jakeo

I had one in a lil town that told the home owner to have his electrician(me) pull out ALL the #14 because its only good for lamp cord. I called, gave him my lic. number and he said that was the only way I was getting inspection. I asked for a state inspector and got it done. I will never show my face there again...LOL
    Some guys are just power hungry.

2. wirenut

wirenut

Listen to my IBEW brother. As a Local #58 member I agree, but I believe you may have misunderstood your inspector. If you are adding a fan (under a full load of 12 amps) to a 15 amp circut, a size 14 awg is fine. Usually you will find most residential lighting circuts are 15 amp. ( but be sure you know) I recently installed a new ceiling fan in the owner of my company's condo. I was glad I did it because of all the previous home owners wiring methods, what a mess. No junction boxes, wire nuts staples, connectors etc... Do it safe or hire a licensed electrician! IBEW LOCAL 58 Journeyman.

3. ace of all

ace of all

4. ace of all

ace of all

NEVER use different gauges of wire that you think is necessary. Wire gauge is matched with the panel breaker size. 12 gauge wire is used with 20 amp breakers. 14 gauge wire is used with 15 amp breakers. Improper use of wire gauges can result in fires. For example: Using 14 gauge wire on a 20 amp circuit will create a fire instead of tripping when overloaded.

5. ace of all

ace of all

14 gauge wire on a 15 amp circuit is adequate for most residential ceiling fans. If there is a concern about overloading when tying into an existing circuit, check the load at the electrical panel with an amp probe. Licensed New York Electrician

Nostromo likes this.
  6. ace of all

ace of all

7. Nostromo

Nostromo

Welcome to the forum.

8. ace of all

ace of all

Must look at the starting amp load on any motor to determine the breaker size thus the wire gauge. 15 amp breakers with 14 gauge wire is adequate for most residential ceiling fans.

9. ace of all

ace of all

Thank you

10. d_rek

d_rek

My BIL and I fished 3-wire to 3 bedrooms at my last house because NONE had cieling fixtures! What a PIA!!! Fishing wire behind drywall, over joists, or through insulation SUCKS!

When our new house was built I had the builder put 3-wire to every fixture and also do heavy boxes in every bedroom so when I want to put a ceiling fan in I can easily do so. Already did one bedroom and it was easy as pie.

brushbuster and kroppe like this.
  11. brushbuster

brushbuster

Can you show me a pic of a "heavy" box?

12. d_rek

d_rek