how to deter dogs from coming around

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by bwlacy, Sep 30, 2020.

1. bwlacy

bwlacy

I have a pair of dogs on camera way too much. I have no idea who they belong to. I'd like to know if there are any ideas how to deter them from coming around my hunting property all the time. I know dogs get loose once in a while. These 2 are clearly just running around all the time. They do have collars on, so someone owns them.

2. wpmisport

wpmisport

Call animal control if you have them and have them trap the the dogs and take them to the pound. The owner will be contacted to pick them up for a fee. It won't happen again.

"Big Tuna" and Wild Thing like this.

3. 6thMichCav

6thMichCav

Hang a Veterinarian sign.

4. pgpn123

pgpn123

The owner is probably close by. Knock on a few doors and show the pics. Neighbors might feel the same way you do. Talk to the owner or call AC once you have the address.

Wild Thing and Nostromo like this.
  5. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

Locate the owners if you can.

MyBritt&Me and up520 like this.
  6. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Remember...it's not the dawgs fault, it's the owners. If you call AC, they'll put the pups in prison instead of the owners, and that's not fair. Call a pup over if you see one and look at their dog tags and trace it back. Dawgs do what Dawgs do and they don't know any better unless they're trained or controlled.

7. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

...and they don't get to pick their owners.

8. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Well said...don't blame or hurt the dawgs please. Dog Lives Matter!

9. Gsphunteronpoint1

Gsphunteronpoint1

Animal control worked for me. My neighbor would intentionally let her dogs out while I was out hunting. Called them and the local sheriff about what was doing on and the dog issue was solved.

10. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

I asked the mail lady about two dogs always running and she knew exactly where they belonged .One neighbor went to their house to talk to them and was told to mind his own business I caught one and called animal control they came out and got it .Seen it on the news being adopted a couple weeks later .Had it all dolled up and looking pretty .

Wild Thing and wpmisport like this.
  11. pgpn123

pgpn123

Dogs are man's best friend, no doubt. However, it's also not fair for someone to let their dog run loose. I was under the impression AC starts with a warning and/or fine. Regardless, there can be some real frustration owning property and a dog(s) is on the loose, particularly during season. It's not the landowners fault either.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  12. retired dundo

retired dundo

I love dogs think they are better than a lot of people.Never blame the dog blame the owners.Allways figure if a dog is bad or mean look at the idiot the owns the dog

MyBritt&Me, 3X8 and Craves like this.
  13. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

If I had that problem I would set a trap or two to catch them. As long as they are not in the trap for too long it will not hurt them. I would call animal control. Seeing that your are from Lakeview you might have to take them to animal control.

Where I live in Montcalm AC never responded when called about a dog attacking a dog being walked by a young boy that he was holding the leash while walking with his mother. The owner of the attacking dog paid the Vet bill as his dog almost killed the dog that was attacked.

14. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

Pour some fox urine on a huge pile of fresh fecal matter. The dogs will roll in it and take it home with them. Works good in neighborhoods too.

retired dundo likes this.
  15. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

Off to bigger and better things.