How to build a doe bedding spot

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by bioactive, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Sportsman1933

Sportsman1933

I agree.

2. Whit1

Whit1 Premium Member

I would suggest that the mods make this a "sticky" in the habitat forum.

3. marksman72

marksman72

Thanks Jim for the x-mas present (vid.) Jim! Pics and video make it much simpler. Can't wait for the book. Mark

4. Muskegonbow

Muskegonbow

How does this look? I put a bunch of sand in the muddy beds along with a layer of canary grass. Nice and comfy now. I made about ten of theses. Some next to each other and some spaced apart. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1419791710.130464.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1419791733.251442.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

:lol: I know the feeling, Maple Ridge! Paul Knox (aka Dbltree) didn't much care for sugar maples either....and I too understand that. We are hobby sugar makers although we have enough sugar maples around that we could do it commercially. We manage our sugar bush on a ridge of about 5 acres near the house and barn so we still have 155 acres we can use for deer habitat...but it still hurts some to hinge cut perfectly good crop trees!

shadowman likes this.
  6. bioactive

bioactive Tornado Jim Premium Member

Nice job muskegon. Looking good!

7. RMH

RMH Banned Premium Member

Looks great!

I have done the same on dry ground to aid for a level bed. I did about 20 of them with sand (I have plenty of it).

I wanted to give it try but probably would not do it again unless I had wet area.

If I were do a wet area I would get a good base tamped down with sand then top it with some surrounding soils to finish it off. The sand is not real stable and I feel topping it with some surrounding soils would help.

[​IMG]

StevenJ and farmlegend like this.
  8. MI.FISH-N-HUNTER

MI.FISH-N-HUNTER Premium Member

Great Video guys, thanks for all the info!

9. bioactive

Here is the video that goes with those pictures, with some added comments about how to keep a hinge intact.

[youtube]V73AjF7wYrg[/youtube]

StevenJ likes this.
  10. GoBlue02

GoBlue02

Huge fan of your work Jim. Can't thank you 3 enough for all the free videos between the 3 different channels (Habitat solutions, See more bucks and Extreme deer habitat) on youtube. A lot of knowledge to be absorbed. I am only working with a 6 acre parcel and it's what you guys would call a "deer desert". I have hinge cut more than 80 tree's in the last week all with a hand saw. Deer are browsing like crazy! Any tips for such a small parcel?

Thanks again for the freebie videos. I can only imagine the depth of the full videos you guys offer.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  11. bioactive

Hey Go. I believe WAS has videos that require membership. I am no longer associated with them. All mine are free and available on my youtube channel except for a few that are associated just with the book.

Hard to say what to do with a small property without seeing it but I do think you could get some ideas from my book, which has a chapter on micro property design.

henry co. likes this.
  12. James P. Bipps

James P. Bipps

Do you use a log for each bed? Any disadvantage to stacking 2-3 logs or should just a single log be used?

13. BOC1324

BOC1324

According to the "WAS" website in looks as though you ARE still affiliated with them Jim.

14. bioactive

New link for the new forum format as the one in the first post no longer works.

15. ken564

ken564