How long has CWD been in Michigan?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by motdean, Jul 26, 2020.

1. mbrewer

mbrewer

Do it!

2. Justsayin

Justsayin

Interesting... the chart presented at the NRC Meeting wasn't the whole story. If I understand this correctly APR13C represents APRs combined with mitigation of increased antlerless harvest. The line not shown at the NRC meeting, APR13 is APR with no mitigation. Good to know our mitigation strategy is slightly less bad than no mitigation... not so good that both are far worse than what baseline could have been. Does anyone remember why science based management was favored? Now would be a good time for a refresher.

So why didn't the DNR present the whole story... because that would reveal just how ill-conceived this experiment actually was. No worries... just double down... one way or another there will be fewer deer with more disease. #MIspreadsCWD.

Seriously though, this presentation on Mi's CWD modeling projects is informative.
    http://www.bcqwc.org/news-and-updates/addressing-cwd-with-innovative-research-mafwa-zoom

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 3.36.14 PM.png

motdean likes this.

3. swampbuck

swampbuck

I think they are in need of more legislative encouragement....When the covid thing calms down

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Justsayin and motdean like this.
  4. motdean

motdean

I like how when he was presenting that particular slide, he notes that we can have later discussions about whether that was a good idea or not...

He also notes that there is a "significant difference between the trajectories of the two".

Finally, The cost of implementing antler point restrictions was significant, here.

Very telling.....

Thanks for posting.

mbrewer and Justsayin like this.
  5. swampbuck

swampbuck

motdean likes this.
  6. sniper

sniper

Putting aside all the questionable charts, graphs, surveys and your hatred for the letter groups, hows your hunting in your general area gonna be this year??
    Serious question.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Lightfoot and Dish7 like this.
  7. swampbuck

swampbuck

Probably down a bit, deer sightings are down even from last year, the acorn crop is looking pretty dismal. Forestry has been down also with the mills shut down due to covid and reduced demand, they are running now.

Our area has been dryer than normal, seems like the rain goes north or south. No major hits really, just a lot of combined factors. Definitely going to need to do some scouting to find anything good.

The new regs will make it easier to put meat in the freezer, but long term could hurt hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

8. sniper

sniper

With your somewhat doom and gloom outlook I’m shocked your not blaming our leaders or some organization. Nature issues we have zero control over. Our hunting in my area is outstanding. It has been for some years now and I expect it to continue in the future. It wasn’t always this way. In your opinion who should I give credit to for this? You must know also that my area of the state isn’t the only area that has outstanding deer hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman