How long has CWD been in Michigan?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by motdean, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Justsayin

Justsayin

I don't have that data broken out by county / township as my post was exclusively on Montcalm. If you or Luv have it, I would be glad to add it to the stats I have been tracking. Would be interesting to look back at exactly what areas were being tested.

Seeing the info Luv posted for the state, looks like from 2012 - 2014 testing levels were very low over all. For at least 5 years, very little testing was being done in Montcalm.

When the Meridian twp. clinically sick doe was brought to the attention of DNR in 2015 the rubber really hit the road. It is unlikely the general random testing would have detected it though even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

2. Justsayin

Justsayin

Serious questions... Do you also suggest moving to hunter pay testing for TB? How do you think the hunter pay to test model would impact hunter participation in known CWD or TB areas?

Seems like it would be counter to disease management. It is like penalizing those hunters who are willing to continue hunting in these areas which if we wish to keep a lid on disease, is absolutely necessary. Maybe we should charge extra to hunt in disease
    free areas to help pay the costs of keeping it that way?!?

3. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Nearly everyone, if not all the hunters in the CWD zones have recently received a free stimulus check and more than likely they will receive another one whether they are working or not. Money should not be an issue because it was an unexpected windfall. The only hunters required to get their deer tested are those that transport their deer outside the zone. If money is an issue they can process their own deer prior to leaving the CWD zone. There has never been a single case of eating a possible CWD positive deer that has impacted the health of a human. If you want your deer tested the DNR should provide the means and the requesting hunter pays a fee for that piece of mind.

As for charging more for hunting in the CWD zone, no, too hard to enforce. If you think it’s an issue, increase property taxes in those areas since the deer belong to the people of the state of Michigan and it’s the land owners who’s property infected the deer.

As for bTB that impacts bovine and humans. The cost should be shared between the USDA, MDARD and DNR.

jr28schalm likes this.
  4. Justsayin

Justsayin

DISCLAIMER: I did not have the actual data from the graphs Dean posted from the modeling, so this is a best effort to create a representative model & baseline.

Overlaying the actuals from Montcalm average prevalence in CWD+ positive townships underscores why many of us are concerned with the current approach to "managing" or perhaps "not managing" CWD.

upload_2020-7-28_18-10-52.png

5. Justsayin

Justsayin

Kind of weak... expected better of you.

Pretty certain the free stimulus check was not sent to only those who reside in CWD zones.

No hunter is required to test a deer unless you are bringing it home outside of a single county and a handful of townships. Other CWD areas are free to spread disease at will.

Testing for CWD is recommended by the CDC & DNR, particularly in known CWD areas. Both advise not to eat a deer taken in these areas without testing first.

CWD is one of several related Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies. Some of these diseases do indeed affect humans and cattle, sheep, mink... It is a question of public health and if both the DNR & CDC advise to test, the risk is not ZERO.

If it costs more to hunt in disease areas, how many hunters will choose to just hunt elsewhere? If enough hunters choose not to hunt these areas, population grows as does disease and spread to new areas. More areas affected, more hunters making difficult choices... fewer hunters... But hey, not your concern.

Yes, the deer belong to State of Michigan and all of its citizens. Suggesting the landowners in these areas are somehow responsible for CWD... no words. Wonder how you would respond if this was in your area? I'm guessing you might choose differently.

6. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

You are wrong on many statements. CWD can be found anywhere in the state, does that mean every deer should be tested and not eaten? CWD has never infected a human! Deer do not belong to the state of Michigan, they belong to the people of the State of Michigan but are managed by the State.

I own hunting land in all 3 zones so yes I would respond the same. I would be more than willing to pay for CWD testing. One stimulus check covers a dozen deer.

I have a question for you. Are you a Bernie supporter that wants everything free?

7. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Not understanding the red line. Montcalm had a 1.8% positive rate last year.

L & O

8. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

lol. That was feeble.

L & O

9. motdean

motdean

Maybe you missed it, but I was agreeing with mbrewer with respect to statewide testing results being meaningless... Did you miss reading me reaffirming “true story”?

Me thinks you were ready to simply find something to disagree with me on, when in fact it appears that you were agreeing with me and The Brew.

10. Justsayin

Justsayin

The red line is as stated an average prevalence rate for the townships in Montcalm where CWD was detected. It is neither the best case or worst case. 14 of 20 townships with prevalence ranging from .55% to 12.86% the average being 4.18%.

The larger the area included the smaller the prevalence appears. However this masks the significance of increases at a localized scale. The first township to hit double digits was Pearson this year at 12.86% which is a long distance above 1.8%.

11. Justsayin

Justsayin

To answer your question, no, I am not.

Yes, in my haste, I missed a couple of words, natural resources belong to all of us though it's questionable whether deer can be or are managed by the state.

Not everyone is as fortunate as you... at least I can understand that a lot of people actually needed that stimulus money for food and shelter while they were put out of work.

I did not say CWD has infected anyone, at least not yet. Those pesky zoonotic disease have a nasty habit of jumping species without giving us any notice... go figure.

Do you own land in the core zone or in any of the other counties where CWD has been detected? If so, did you hunt that area this past year?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    motdean likes this.
  12. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I did hunt in 2 counties with confirmed cases of CWD in 2019. I did not fill a tag but I’m pretty selective. Starting in 2015 I was looking buy more land between Saginaw and Eaton counties to be closer to my daughters. It was intended to be our second home while we visit the kids with somewhere to hunt and develop for daylight deer movement. CWD put that plan in a holding pattern. I‘m still casually looking but not really too enthused. Out of state hunts are becoming way more attractive. Ohio has been filling more recreational hours. I’m a full partner in a 4 farm Ohio lease now due to a charter member dropping out.

13. motdean

motdean

Did you just make justsayin's point?
    People aren't enthused about buying and hunting in a CWD zone...apparently, including you.

As a hunter myself in a county with confirmed cases, I can tell you that if they start charging for testing, I will be hunting the home property.

NbyNW and Justsayin like this.
  14. RKPTA

RKPTA

How do you define a modern day "real hunter"?

15. motdean

motdean

That sounds like a great gag thread in and of itself....

We could see how many funny responses we could get.

One of mine would be by the. number of sponsors. :eek::D

mbrewer and RKPTA like this.