How is your truck holding up, any issues?

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Offfishn, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Offfishn

Offfishn

Going to get a new truck this month and looking for some input of the various makes.
    Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda and Toyota.
    I get employee discounts at GM, Ford and Fiat Chrysler, since I'm retired from all three.
    So I'm leaning to the Detroit 3.

The truck will be used as my personal truck and commute daily about 3 miles one way from the Lake Huron house to my other property 3 miles inland.
    Truck will pull the 19' aluminum boat, and occasionally one of three landscape style trailers for various jobs at either property.
    Occasionally it will pull a flat bed car hauler to 6x6 AATV (2000lbs.) events in the USA, or one of my tractors between the Huron properties.
    Lots of mud and water involved in these events.

Will plow some snow in the Huron County Thumb area on Lake Huron during the winter months.
    Black top road is about 10ft wide with a slight crown, road is T shaped (dead end) 1000ft and 500ft respectively.
    There will be a dozen driveways also of various widths and all cement.

I'm leaning away from the diesel because of the snow removal use and very limited heavy pulling over 4000lbs.

I want a work truck, V8, Auto, PS, 4x4, PS, PW and MP3 player.
    I looked at a Ford 2018 F250 with a Western Contractor V-blade on it today, is that over kill?

Thanks for your responses

2. bobberbill

bobberbill

I have a 13 Silverado. I bought it new, dealership does the oil changes, and never have had a single issue. PLOW?? That will kill anything. Buy tractor. My Z71 short bed extended cab has done everything expected. could care less about an Mp3 whatever that is..

3. Waif

Waif

250 is not overkill. Much less will suffer plowing . Some half tons sbould not even have a plow mounted on them.
    I' ve run a 250 with a straight plow for a decade on 4-5 driveways and a road. It' ll plow. Remember to have a secure counterweight.
    Ford no longer impresses me with my trucks history. And I have owned numerous Fords with the last 4wd having things other than it being a 4wd that were not impressive.
    I take it easy on mine ,but it still is plowing.
    Time for 4wd repair or replacement.
    Passenger side headlight is intermittent due to where harness is spliced( by Ford design,waiting to try telling a cop that).
    Tow haul switch lasted several uses before becoming intemittent. Other electrical marvels too.
    Exhaust manifolds did not see 100,000 miles on a low annual miles unit. And suck to replace.
    What has Ford done for owners of products when told their products are failing? The broken spark plug issue is one. There are other products with far more dangers that take an act much greater than an owners concerns before a service bulletin or recall has occurred. Your dealer may differ ,but who are they more obliged to pacify?
    Asking who builds a solid dependable domestic truck ,depends on if a five year expected life is enough.
    Were I spending your money ,suitability for plowing,warranty length ,and what is covered would rate highly. Big 3 or not. I'll look at G.M.'s again ,but will consider all.

If you amortize the cost of a truck and plow vs what you have left....A tractor might ,as suggested earlier be a better idea.
    Plus you are not repairing and wearing on your truck if it is also your means of transportation. Speed with a plow should be kept at 50 or below. So you'll either pull it ,or abuse it to do the speed limit. Pulling it requires a dedicated piece of concrete ,and time putting it back on. Storage in summer too.
    That matters if you drive a distance to plow.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  4. Offfishn

Offfishn

Is that the 4.8 or 5.3l?
    MP3 is for tunes, gotta have AC/DC, KISS and Seger shaking the windows and the water!

bobberbill likes this.
  5. Offfishn

Offfishn

The plow will basically never leave the subdivision to plow.
    I have 3 tractors with buckets on them at the shed, but doing snow with a bucket just su$ks, especially on gravel at the shed.
    I do have a rear blade on the Deere that's not to bad.
    I could put a front blade on one of the tractors for the shed area.

A buddy has a 2016 2500HD 6L Silverado that he plows with alot and it's in the shop alot, he uses his 2003 F250 backup truck then.

But that's why I asked the question, to see what brand/model appears to be less problematic.

Waif likes this.
  6. bobberbill

bobberbill

5.3.. Just made a trip from the west side to eastside and back. 18 mpg.. Trip over was a half load of campfire wood for the kids. 4x4 can drive over the snow. If I need to move snow I use my ariens blower.

7. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

Last 2 trucks with plows (boss plows) I had were dodge 2500 with diesel. Nothing would stop them. The guy that just bought my 2004 dodge from me was totally amazed at how effortlessly it plowed. Been plowing for 30+ years.
    Got 2017 now but without plow. Retired. This thing is a joy to drive. Took 2 trip this past fall and got 25 mpg doing 70-75 mph. Will most likely be my last truck I will ever need.