How important is deer cam scouting?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Maple_Ridge, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Maple_Ridge

Maple_Ridge

So, the opener for Bow is coming soon. Just put up another cam in a low impact spot over a bean field. Does your cam scouting factor heavily into where you sit Oct. 1? Or do you ignore it? Or do you wait to put cams up later?

2. bmoffit

bmoffit

Personally i run my cams mainly to see what survived last year and what moved in this year. But even based on those pics it doesn’t factor in to where I’ll sit 10-1..... unless there’s s bruiser in daylight 10 days in row prior!! But I’ve changed my strategy from years past. Hot spots don’t get hunted until Halloween. I’m basically on doe patrol until then

3. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I use to run alot of cameras , but only have one out now. Where I hunt it doesn't make sense to do it in the summer . Once I locate a secluded food source like acorns or beechnuts next month close to an area I'm interested in hunting, then I'll throw a few out just to see what's in the areas. I won't hang a camera near where I plan to actually set up anymore.

4. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

It is going to steer me towards a property, but wind and weather are going to drive stand location, not the camera

Big CC and LabtechLewis like this.
  5. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

I'm a gun only hunter. I've never used a camera for deer, but tried unsuccessfully to use a borrowed one for bear last year. For this technologically challenged individual cameras are just not worth the effort.

6. Newaygo1

Newaygo1

I don't use Cam's for what Stand to Sit at... I use them for seeing what possible Bucks are roaming on my property (Inventory) of Bucks there, what Does have fawns twins or just a single Fawn or no Fawns, what other Wildlife is around including Bears, Bobcats, Turkeys and the Interaction with these and Deer. This Year so far I had a doe pushed off a Plot (first time) by a Bear during daylight, at Dusk I had a Bobcat also (first time) jump into a tree as Doe approached that area, Being I only use my cams for video. Also Alpha Doe pushing off other does and deer from 2 Plots I have cams on. Cams for me is not so much a "Scouting" Tool pre say just what if any deer are in the area / my property... Mostly used Buck Inventory... Hope one of those Bucks passes me during the Deer Seasons only once so have I had a Buck pass by... Each has their idea for using cams to each their Own...
    Newaygo1

Sparky23 and Rowdy Bandit like this.
  7. Namrock

Namrock

Probably won't determine where I set opening week. But like stick & bmoffit said, it gives me an idea of what deer have been around the area.

Jimbos, Dish7 and stickbow shooter like this.
  8. mbrewer

mbrewer

Finding a deer you want to hunt is where I think cams can shine. Once you find one, two or ten then you can start planning, early, late, whatever. For me it's been the difference between one good buck a year and two.

9. rgbragg

rgbragg

I have several “mini” food plots and have a camera on each of them. What shows up and what time their showing up certainly makes a difference where I choose to sit

red wolf, Hunters Edge and Wild Thing like this.
  10. CDN1

CDN1

I use my cams to try to determine 2 things.
    1) Is there a worthy shooter buck living in my area.
    2) How much effort/ pressure to apply in attempts to kill said shooter.

2a) when I begin to get pictures of said Shooters very close to daylight or better yet in daylight. Then I begin to hunt carefully but much harder.

Any other pictures I get are just for the joy of seeing what happens out there when I am not there.

11. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

I use a lot of cameras. They not only help me determine where to hunt...and where not to hunt...but WHEN to hunt. I like to know that a deer I am hunting is in fact moving during daylight hours. When you find one that is showing up at the same time every day it is just a matter of figuring out how to be there undetected when he shows up. I don't really get excited about October 1st and generally don't hunt all that much until pre-rut...unless a camera tips me off that I should be hunting earlier.

GATORGETTER, Sparky23, Dish7 and 4 others like this.
  12. don

don Premium Member

The wind direction will be the dictating factor in where I sit every day of the season regardless of what has been seen on the trail cameras during the pre-season.
    The camera intel only tells me what was there and when, and as exciting as that may be, will have essentially no effect on where I will hunt opening day.
    Only the wind knows and that changes day by day if not hour by hour.

13. bigal06

bigal06

As previously mentioned wind and weather dictate which stand I’m going to sit in. We use cameras to see what’s hanging around. I will say those that are more visible during the daylight tend not to survive long into the season.

Jimbos and Hunters Edge like this.
  14. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Admin Mod

I hunt primarily state land so no cameras for me.
    My opening day location will be decided on the availability of acorns.
    <----<<<

wallhanger81 and Justin like this.
  15. Dish7

Dish7

Cameras can really help a hunters patience. If you know there is a dandy in the area, it becomes much easier to pass other bucks and stay on stand longer. I generally only use them for inventory and like Wild Thing mentioned, looking for daylight movement.