close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How, for bigger bass?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by lssufisherman, Jun 12, 2009.

1. lssufisherman

lssufisherman

Hey guys, I have always been fishing for big bass in a lot of SE Michigan lakes and I have tried every lure imaginable with different techniques. I have always caught bass in the 1-3 pound range and never been able to catch the 3-5 pounders.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share info on the lures and techniques they use to catch bigger bass. Thanks.

P.S. I am strickly a catch and release fisherman and I don't fish any tournaments. Just take a picture and put her back. Thank again for the info guys.

2. redear

redear

3. lssufisherman

lssufisherman

Ok. Ill try bigger baits. I just have to realize ill probably eliminate some smaller hits. Thanks for the tip!!!

4. redear

redear

big fish eat big baits, try some creature baits texas riged fished slow on the bottom

5. Jsr15

Jsr15

Albion College from August - June, Ann Arbor in su
    Hula Poppers, Senkos, Try using buzz baits (they work like crazy if you have it hit a log/rock then have it sink in the water, then retrieve)

6. jacktownhooker

jacktownhooker

i know you said lures and techniques ... and mine was a small dbl jointed rapala trolled at night with berkely scent added -22 inch bass and caught some 20 inches on mr twister magnum frogs .in pads

but live bait like lg golden shiners or sm gills and live crawdads will up your chances .... especially with using 3 rods this year
    use a 4/0 octopus hook or circle hook to decrease swallowing the hook

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  7. Roosevelt

Roosevelt

Cast in the same spot multiple times. The bigger ones sometimes take a couple passes to get em interested. I've caught 3-5 lb.'ers. on small and big jigs, worms, spinners and buzzbaits.

If I know it's a good spot I'll cast up to 10 times or more in the same spot. Usually they hit by the 5th cast though.

8. chamookman

chamookman

Try a jig-n-pig combo. Can't beat a green pumpkin or black and blue jig with a craw trailer ! C-man

9. SPITFIRE

SPITFIRE

:yeahthat:
    A freind of mine does this and gets slobs on a regular basis ;).

10. lssufisherman

lssufisherman

Thanks a lot guys, for the tips. I'm going out on white lake tommorrow morning and ill try some of those lures and techniques. Ill be back with an update!

11. UkiahDog

UkiahDog

I got a 22 1/8" Largemouth and a 13" Rock Bass today on a 6" Berkley Gulp Alive Nightcrawler on a drop shot rig. Used a Standout hook, 10lb Flouro line, and a normal swivel sinker, w/about 18" of lead. Getting ready to post some pics.

12. ROI Outdoors

ROI Outdoors

The biggest factor to consider is the body of water your fishing - if you are fishing lakes that don't produce 4-5's every year than obviously it will be pretty hard to get to the size of fish your after. There are some lakes you just don't catch big fish on and some you do.

Another big factor is the time of year your fishing - I have caught a decent amount of 5's but I can only think of a few that were caught during the post-spawn to summer peak periods. Spring and fall are by far the best times to catch big bass so don't expect to slam pigs during June, July and August but if you put your time in April, May, September, October, and into November you will catch fish in the 4-5+ range.

Most of the 4-5's I have caught also come out of deeper water - target water in the 10 ft. to 25 ft. range and definitely start throwing Jigs. Get some 1/2 ounce skirted football head jigs in PBJ/Black & Blue/watermelon with orange or any color that resembles a crayfish. Brandwise I prefer Omega, Revenge, RockStalker, or Buckeye.

The best trailers the past 2 years for me have been Strike King's Rage Tails - in crayfish colors, watermelon/green shades and black/blue - get any 2 toned colors (top of the trailer darker and bottom lighter). The newest trailer I've been having success with is called the Buzz Beev made by Garneau Baits - their not available in stores yet but you can order from their website (www.garneaubaits.com) they will be available in stores soon. When I flip or am fishing really weedy lakes I'll throw 3/8 or 5/16 Jewel Eakin jig - PBJ will catch fish anywhere.

The added bonus to dragging football jigs is learning the lake bottom - you can feel weeds, gravel, rocks, sand, and pretty any bottom contour/structure. 99% of the time if you find isolated rocks on a point or a sunken island you just found a new spot! I'm not an electronics expert but I don't know of any graph that can distinguish the above as accurately as you can by dragging a jig.

Bigger Baits do catch bigger fish - but so do jigs and you can still catch the smaller to medium size fish that wouldn't hit a 10 inch swim bait.

mattman likes this.
  13. lssufisherman

lssufisherman

Cool guys, fished on tipsico lake this morning cause white lake boat launch fills up fast. Again caught some nice 2.5 pounders. I Also latched onto a 24 inch pike. Thanks for the tips. I'll keep trying for them.

P.S. I agree that I might be fishing the wrong waters. Any one have any suggestions?

I have two jigs that are 1/2 ounce in dark and light colors. Thanks for the technique!!!:)

14. redear

redear

i have to dissagree with july and august not being good for big fish. thats when they are schooled up in deeper water and we have caught many 20+ pound bags. best time of the year if you ask me. when i said big baits for big fish i did not mean 10 inch swimbaits:yikes:, i dont even use those for musky, i ment more like jigs and bulky creature baits.

15. Roosevelt

Roosevelt

Best big bass fishin I ever had was on a narrow part of a reservoir that don't get much pressure. We drifted in a canoe casting medium sized buzzbaits into the openings between and in among lily pads. Both shores were lined with lily pads and it ran east to west, so it was easy to drift the whole edge for a good long ways. Calm days in the heat of summer were best. Them big bass just sit up under the pads waiting for lunch. We fished midday mostly into the evening. Smallest one was one 13" and several 18" and I'm sure during the course of the summer we caught hundreds and hundreds. Most were in the 20-22" inch range and extremely fat.

We were young and I'm sure if we'd a fished a jig or worm on the days that the buzzbaits weren't producing so well we'd a bagged alot more. Let em all go but one that my cousin just had to keep.