Hot ponds?

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by bicke1js, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Shoeman

Shoeman Mod

Floated my hat a few times working too close to the upstream edge of a hole. My waders filled with more than just water!

2. Macs13

Macs13

I've gone in smaller streams - I went under 3 times this fall in one day on the Betsie, lol. However, I also went under last year while wade fishing the walleye run on the Maumee and that was a different feeling altogether because it's a big, powerful river that gets deep really fast. I struggled and bobbed and held onto my poles for a short time before I flipped onto my back, feet first, and managed to get my heels dug in at a shallow spot. The force of the river popped me back up onto my feet. The Betsie experience was fun - have another drink! The Maumee was terrifying - got lucky.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

wpmisport, Bassbug and Smallie12 like this.

3. on a call

on a call

No doubt, I hope to never check it out.

Bassbug likes this.
  4. Deer Slayer

Deer Slayer Premium Member

The subject in the waders was able to kick his way to the edge of the pool where he was pulled out. I never said that was "not dangerous". I was trying to let people know what we were taught 50 years ago which is that having the waders fill with water is not an automatic death sentence. You just have to keep your head and not panic. Even if you are at the mercy of the rivers current you can still paddle, kick and partially swim which could actually save a life. You just don't give up.

5. Shoeman

Shoeman Mod

Wader Belt!

Bassbug and Bay BornNRaised like this.
  6. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised Banned

Or waders that fit. Neoprene waders are tight fitting. Not much room for my rolls more less gallons and gallons of water lol. Buddy system is always a good thing too

sureshot006 likes this.
  7. Smallie12

Smallie12

Pulled a kid from there a few years ago. Him and his macho older buddy or brother came stomping in like they owned the place and squeezed in tightly upstream of me into a group of guys. Within 5 minutes the know it all broke is rod tip off his rod while high sticking a snag after messing up everyone's drift first of course and then demanded that he trade rods with the younger smaller guy. We told them there was a ledge just a couple feet in front of them and to not venture any further. Not 5 minutes later all I see is arms waving out of the water as he drifts by and I take one more step thinking I'm going in too but was luckily able to reach the kid and pull him toward me into slightly shallower water. He made it to his feet, his way oversized rubber waders (no belt) were absolutely full of water and he walked to shore and drained them out, was freezing cold, and they left. The kid had at least another 50 yards if not more of a swim before he "maybe" could have felt bottom so who knows what the outcome would have been. People die on that river every year both wading and boating and it is a scary place with no visibility. If you don't shuffle your feet while wading it is only a matter of time before you step into a hole there and even that's no guarantee. Felt soles are the only way to go imo down there because of the rocky/slate type bottom.

Macs13 and on a call like this.
  8. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised Banned

Not a true statement. It's more of a concern during hardwater/ice season.
    The sides have some rocks for structure (manmade) reasons but the "Bottom" lacks a rocky/slate bottom where I ever fished at the ponds. The bottom at ponds is mostly a sandy/dirt bottom.

9. BucksandDucks

BucksandDucks

I believe he's talking about the Maumee

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

10. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised Banned

Must be.... Definitely a big difference between the two..

11. Resinater

Resinater

It is a perfect example of why not to flush them down the toilet. We all know where the sewage ends up.

12. Smallie12

Smallie12

You are correct sir, I replied to Mac's post, thought it was clear enough, guess not.

13. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised Banned

Macs post refers to the Bestie and the Maumee. Mind you all in a thread for the Hot ponds.... Guess was anybody's....

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  14. on a call

on a call

This is what saved my life in 1980...a coach I was fishing with was taller and more heavy than I. He held the straps of my waders as we crossed the Maumee after a rise in the water. Had it not been for him I might have drowned or been stranded on bluegrass island .

Macs13 and Bay BornNRaised like this.
  15. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised Banned

I think most everyone that wears waders a lot as gotten wet once or twice..... Glad your outcome was a positive one!

on a call and MickL like this.