close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hot Ponds

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by MickL, Jan 9, 2018.

1. MickL

MickL Premium Member

I'm looking for a walking conditions report. I've fished there a few times a year for the last 10 or 15 years. Sometimes there's plenty of good ice and the walk from the parking lot is easy. At other times there's little or no good ice and the walk can be a real struggle and hard on the waders. Any recent info is appreciated.

2. Big Skip

Big Skip

I haven't been there, but its pretty easy to put 2 and 2 together with the weather we have had.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

3. sureshot006

sureshot006

Take the walk. Unless the warmer weather is causing a ton of melt to go down the ditch at Jones.

MickL likes this.
  4. MickL

MickL Premium Member

Ya, that gets to the gut of the issue. If anybody has walked the ditch (or on top the ice on the trail near the ditch) all the way to the bay, that answers my question.

5. sureshot006

sureshot006

the trail near the ditch will be fine. It's crossing the ditch that I'm not sure about. Got a lot deeper since I've fished it. Used to drive an S-10 blazer back there when water was low before they put a berm up. Kids those days lol...

6. MickL

MickL Premium Member

Yes, the walk has gotten more challenging in recent years. In the winter of 2014-15 the average water level was up about 1.5 ft from the winter before, and now it's up close to an additional foot. I wish DNR and the power company would get together and figure-out how they could provide a safe walking path.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  7. bowhunter42

bowhunter42

Last time I fished the ponds consumers ran me out. Saying that I couldn't wade there because they owned the channel?

8. MickL

MickL Premium Member

They've never told me i couldn't wade or fish, but they have told me i couldn't walk their road.... and wanted to see my driver's license.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  9. sureshot006

sureshot006

Not true... you can stand in the water. Can't go up on their road or past the gate.

10. bheary

bheary

I remember them letting people walk their road because they couldn't keep up with the traffic and more or less caved in to the fisherman pressure

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11. sureshot006

sureshot006

When was that? All but twice I walked the shore, because too much weak ice on the walk out. Never got busted though.

12. MickL

MickL Premium Member

I hear you loud and clear about trying to avoid weak ice. No fun fighting weak trail ice especially at current water levels. Places that were only 1 foot deep prior to the winter of 2014-15 now are about 3 feet. If i were the power plant manager for a day, i would make a move toward better public relations by establishing a walk path for angler access.

sureshot006 likes this.
  13. sureshot006

sureshot006

Although it would be nice, I see trash, liabilities and a surprisingly expensive path.

14. bowhunter42

bowhunter42

This was 2 years ago. Me and a buddy were in the water waste deep when the security gaurd threatened to call the cops. No one responded, very well could of been jealous of is railin on fish.