Hooks?

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by steeliehunter, Feb 9, 2018.

1. FirstDay

FirstDay

Considering giving the Raven hooks a shot, how do they compare to the Trout Beads hooks?

2. steeliehunter

steeliehunter

Don’t think you can really go wrong with either. I’ve used both and still carry both with me. Both are strong hooks never straighten any of either kind. Trout beads seem to made out of a bit heavier wire then the ravens but fit and finish on both are great. I still prefer to run trout bead hooks when running beads. Seem to hook up on fish better with them when running beads. Tried other hooks but they didn’t seem work as well but that’s just my experience with them. But for running bags, waxworms or any kind of bait like that I like the raven specimen wide gap hooks.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    FirstDay likes this.

3. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

Has anyone tried circle hooks when running beads? I'm new at the bead thing and still figuring it out. Thank you

4. steeliehunter

steeliehunter

I’ve wondered the same thing. I did some research awhile ago and came across and article in field and stream magazine called Moffitt style fly fishing. Basically the same concept of bead fishing but instead of a bead it’s a hookless fly tied above a hook and they use circle hooks.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/fly-fishing/how-fish/2009/03/look-ma-no-hooks

5. brian0013

brian0013

I bought the Grammy octopus circle by mistake.worked great on spawn but running a pink worm in-line I’ve had two fish that popped of so far

6. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Several years ago I tied up some of my favorite flies for Steelhead on circle hooks and used them quite a bit to see if the hookup rate would go up or down. I can't really say one way or the other about the hook up rate, however, I have noticed that the location of the hook in the fish moved to the lip area of the fish on almost every circle hook hooked fish. Never found one down deep or near a gill. I still use both types of hooks.

7. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

# 8 owner ssw. Sharpest hook out there.

STEELnICE likes this.
  8. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

Eagle Claw L42 size 8.

Trout King and Eco like this.
  9. joshlem

joshlem

Blood Run tailout size 6 & 8

slightofhand likes this.
  10. brian0013

brian0013

I
    break those in half with 10#test hate um

11. slightofhand

slightofhand

Try the blood Run tail outs they are tough. I always seem to hook my fish right in the top center of their mouth every time too...not sure how that happens

12. adam bomb

adam bomb

They’re an awesome hook. I tried some this year. I like their Skeena Mosquito hook too for fishing spawn.