Hook up to land ratio

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by tman69671, May 5, 2019.

1. fishdip

fishdip

Losing fish?Welcome to steelhead fishing.How far are you running your bead from the hook?

2. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

I am curious which rod you are running. I started with the aventa rod and got realllllllly frustrated. I literally could not set the hook hard enough to keep a fish pinned. My landing ratio on everything I ran was terrible. Once I switch to a rod with some backbone I began landing a lot more.

3. tman69671

tman69671

I am running a 11'3'' shimano clarus. I did have a significant improvement in my ratio yesterday morning after running a #4 owner mosquito under a 10mm (pegged about 2'' above the hook). I hooked 4 fish and only lost one. Two were pretty small, but they were all hooked really good and 75% land ratio is way better than my previous <20% regardless of the fish size.

flyrodder46 likes this.
  4. fishdip

fishdip

Sounds like you got it.

5. Clum

Clum

Snell your knots. It will make a major difference in hook ups and keeping fish buttoned. A snelled straight shank hook acts a lot like a circle hook. It also provides you better control of the fish and gives you more leverage on the hook itself. You can see in the picture below how line comes off the hook bending the hook inward. If you try this at home and slide your hand down the line on a snelled hook vs a regular knot youll notice that hook will bite your hand much more often then a regular knot. You wont get this same angle with an octopus hook, has to be straight shank. Not saying the octopus hook is bad, I just dont feel its as good. But im wrong all the time so there's that.

[​IMG]

There's a million snells out there and most of them incorporate all sorts of loops and ******** thats not needed. I use a super easy snell, and even still. I pretie all my leaders at home instead of on the water. I couldnt find a diagram of the snell I use so I drew one up real quick, hopefully it helps. I havent had any issues with this snell at all. Its a good knot.

[​IMG]

I forgot to add, I noticed people talking about sharpening your hooks. Good idea and bad. A lot of the hooks we buy are treated, when you file them sharp you ruin that finish and your hooks will rust. So dont go doing a whole bunch at once in case you forgot your hook container got a little water in it and now all the hooks are rusted. Not to mention, single hooks are cheap. Dull hook? throw on a new one. You spend how much in time and gas to worry about a hook. Forget about it.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  6. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Great improvement on your ratio! As for my question about your rod, I doubt it’s the issue. It has enough backbone to not be the issue imo.

7. Trout King

Trout King

Also may want to take into consideration to how you are fighting fish. I try to keep my rod tip lower and fight the fish as to not pull the hook from the side the fish is hooked on, which with beads, is usually the far side of the fishes head (opposite side that you are fishing from). Hope that made any sense,lol.

8. slightofhand

slightofhand

When I use blood Run Skeena hooks I always snell, it is a mosquito style hook and is designed to be snelled. That said when I bead fish I almost always use their tailout hook which is a straight eye, and is not to be snelled. Thats probably the issue. Another thing maybe to pay attention to, I have been fishing a lot with guys just getting into it, and they are missing a lot of fish...is properly mending their line. They struggle with having slack in their line to the float, and bobber down reaction times plus this slack results in missed hooksets. Mending is a big deal, constantly mending for direct contact to the float is key. Good luck!

9. slightofhand

slightofhand

Correct...all of these hooks are already treated, which means to be chemically sharpened. I never try to sharpen a chemically sharpened hook, it actually makes it worse.