Homestead Closed for Business

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Ddog0587, Sep 10, 2020.

1. crystalflash

crystalflash

Isn’t all part and parcel of perspective. I to have chased cold water fish all through the Great Lakes. From the Niagara to St.Mary’s down through to the St.Joe and several states and Ontario waters for 45 years. All as a river guy. If one formulate an opinion without history, well....both opinion and perspective are skued. Fewer fish, less crowds (yes less). And poor behaviour force change.

2. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure

Everybody has a theory. I’m just gonna keep my mouth shut and fish.

3. riverbob

riverbob Premium Member

I don't know who's fault, some say downstaters/out of staters, the last i heard was they help pay the bill for local businesses, some say the media, could be, i remember the first tv program i saw in the early 50's, i through that was informative, myself, i think it's the salmon, river's n streams were a lot more peaceful in the mid 60's, salmon can bring out the worst in some people, n with terms like Kang Bang, what do ya think people r thinking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, more steel, they bite better, n fight good too n there in the rivers longer,,,,,,,,,,,,, my :2cents:

1302berkey, JimP, Dagen and 1 other person like this.
  4. Chinook on a Hook

Chinook on a Hook

Funny I was fishing there in 96 never saw the lot or river the way it is now but you're entitled to your opinion even if you were 6 years old when I started fishing this river. Btw I've been on this site since 08 had to create a new account when I wanted to change my name, I probably would've been on here sooner but honestly I care more about fishing than I do reading about it, not that it matters how long I've been on here. Does that give anyones opinion more clout than mine? Maybe back when guys could legally snag, the river was crowded but when I started fishing it in 96 (when you were 5) it was nowhere near the circus it is today. Im glad you guys catch fish. I myself do very well, usually catch my limit, LEGALLY. But I pull all the hooks out of the kings and let them go my days of dragging 100 plus lbs of fish a quarter of a mile out of the river are over. Maybe if you spent less time trolling internet threads and more time fishing you would see how bad this river has been treated and maybe have a different opinion on the matter. But tbh I really don't care about your opinion as I probably catch more fish than you and your buddy on a bad day and didnt ask you for your input. People are literally leaving feces on other peoples property, leaving beer cans, having illegal fires, illegal camping, leaving fish carcasses in the parking lot, and getting into fights, at the dam 2 years ago I saw a guy hit a woman and then get jumped by 3 guys the cops came and took him and another guy to jail because they have warrants. How can you even try and start to give me a history lesson when you literally started the first grade when I first waded this river and my aunts, uncles, and grandma were born in Benzie County, and fished all these rivers before tou knew how to spell? If you guys are that upset about the new restrictions maybe take the time to go down and clean up the river as we do everytime we leave, fill our nets with any garbage we find. Maybe then I'll give a hoot about your opinion, like I said I literally watched this happen. But until then good luck and Tight lines (the kind of lines you fish with not troll people on the internet with.)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    UBDSLO1 likes this.
  5. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

The clown show has just gotten more concentrated with the lack of plants and returning fish to the rivers (notice PLURAL RIVERS). Always been lots of clowns around....just less fish and stretches of river for the clowns to rip fish (I mean boots).

Cant we all just get along? I've never been much of a river rat and don't have a taste for half dead fish so it really doesn't much matter to me.....however the clowns do need to respect the resource and land they are trashing......

eggfly, jatc, SJC and 2 others like this.
  6. BMARKS

BMARKS

Quite a bit of assumptions and accusations in your post. calm her down a bit... bro.

Lakertaker44 likes this.
  7. BMARKS

BMARKS

lmao guy finishes off his novel written on an online forum with i dont really care. always a priceless statement.

Lakertaker44 likes this.
  8. BMARKS

BMARKS

for the record, i wasnt alive when snagging was legal. and the whole i catch more fish than you thing is pretty cute. but not in a lifetime my friend.

9. Chinook on a Hook

Chinook on a Hook

Agreed 100%. I hope the restrictions help with this as its actually a very cool place to hike and LEGALLY camp as well.

10. Chinook on a Hook

Chinook on a Hook

Put your money where your mouth is son. I'll be up there Wednesday thru Saturday White 2019 chevy silverado my name is Drew I got grey simms g3 waders and a tan vest Ill bet you a weeks paycheck. Remember I've been fishing this river when you thought girls had cooties. Can't remember the last time I didn't land my limit last week in 8 I hooked up more than can count put 16 in the net pulled all the hooks out of them and released every one of them, not being cocky just want to prove a point that the amount of fish you've caught doesn't give your opionion any clout, and maybe have a little more fun. Two things in this world I love to do the most: make money catch fish maybe do both at the same time.. See you there?

11. Macs13

Macs13

Hahaha. You kids are awesome. It just sounds like a bunch of crying dandies. I haven't figured out what the fuss is with Homestead, Tippy, etc. When the salmon run, lots of people come out. A few will leave a mess or not know how to hold their liquor, but for the most part everybody is cool.

Also, just because you've fished there longer, that doesn't give you any more right or authority to continue to fish in a particular spot. This is public access land and everybody there, even if they offend your sensibilities, has a right AND contributes to the maintenance, fish planting, etc via his fishing license.

On the one hand, this site is supportive of new and avid outdoorsmen because we're a dying breed but then when guys glom to a great spot, y'all turn into Karen and Ken. Take your Midol, put on your big boy panties, and do something other than cry and moan. Smh.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Lakertaker44 likes this.
  12. BMARKS

BMARKS

cute.

13. Chinook on a Hook

Chinook on a Hook

Bro I try to be amicable these days, I apologize if I made you feel negatively in any type of way. I feel strongly about my opinion as I literally watched it happen and am not going to say otherwise. I do however still invite you to wager on a good old fashioned fishing contest 100% peaceful. My friends and I only like to have fun out doors and catch some fish, not fight and be negative. We may talk smack but its in a joking manner and like my gradually used to say "its okay to be cocky, when you're the mother******* man. " seriously your welcome to the offer and maybe we can swap stories of how the river used to be.

14. SJC

SJC

This guy gets it. The salmon and steelhead river fishing has gotten so poor in most places, a lot of peoples honey holes have been discovered and, for them, ruined by people looking for fish. The internet just helps the search. It used to be that almost no matter where you were in the state, you had at least decent shore opportunities for salmon and steel close by. Welcome to "destination fisheries"...

eggfly and Chinook on a Hook like this.
  15. BMARKS

BMARKS

no worries, just a bit of ribbing both ways it sounds. good luck and have at em, i don't fish homestead for salmon. i have a cabin on the PM and mostly fish there any more while the kid plays. i really dont get into it much until the steelhead arrive.

Chinook on a Hook likes this.