Homestead Closed for Business

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Ddog0587, Sep 10, 2020.

1. BMARKS

BMARKS

That is also correct. my response was to macs question of whether they closed the river or just the access site from 1-4 am. they can and from the sounds of it did close the access in those hour windows. but if you area accessing the river from a boat by motoring up to or floating down to, you can access the water legally.

2. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

jiggin is livin likes this.

3. MT2MI

MT2MI

Stopped by to take a look at the new closure today...beautiful sight! One side of the line hundreds of salmon resting in the pool. Other side of the line hundreds of "anglers" throwing lead at each other.

sportsman98 and LushLife like this.
  4. Sparky23

Sparky23

And thousands of our dollars to pay for co's to not do there job. More rules amd regs rather than enforce ones in place at one of the easiest places to to enforce in the state.

5. Slimits

Slimits

I wonder how many fish die because they cant make it over the dam. For sure them big 30 lbs toting around flasher fly setups from the big lake cant make that jump

6. nighttime

nighttime

Hard to judge CO’s over their job and what they do if your not with them 100% of their day. Homestead and it’s closer has nothing to about CO’S and not doing their job. 300’ feet get over it. Every salmon river is loaded full of snaggers every year, kinda hard to police when your out numbered 50 to 1.

The salmon that don’t clear dam don’t just die because they can’t clear it, but end up spawning below dam. Good amount salmon die during run because it is what it is.

UBDSLO1, Stubee, FallDreamer and 2 others like this.
  7. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

Yup, "it is hard to police". Whaaaa

It isn't like it is owned by the public for their own use. Also the same ones that pay them to enforce the laws with the idiots. Oh well, we just need to suck it up and take in the rear, lose more access and keep paying more taxes. Lol

Sounds to me like the fisherman were doing their jobs for them with all the fights. Someone is acting stupid, they usually get dealt with. Leave OUR (all of ours) access alone, we need more, not less.

Sad is the only word that comes to mind.

8. jiggin is livin

If I had to guess, probably the people that owned the private property had something to do with it......

Richard Cranium and mike1968 like this.
  9. BMARKS

BMARKS

I just find it funny that this thread is all about how much people hate closures and regulations, then the platte river thread is full of guys hoping for more closure and regulations.

FallDreamer, TK81 and jiggin is livin like this.
  10. jiggin is livin

It is a bit ironic.

11. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

platte is put and take......having the lower open makes sense when the majority of the fish will get taken out and go wherever and the allocated portion go to the hatchery and get taken out. Betsie is different...not planted and natural reproduction.

However both now have closures below the weir and dam to protect fish from blatant snagging.

tda513 and FallDreamer like this.
  12. Fishndude

Fishndude

I wonder how many Kings there would be, if there was a complete closure of the Betsie to fishing, for the fall spawn? Maybe from Sept 20th - Oct 31st. Seriously, how many millions of King eggs are destroyed by the hordes of Anglers walking everywhere below the dam? That is all great spawning gravel. Close it for 3 years, and see what happens. There are so many other rivers to fish that everyone could still have a good time. What if the returns on the Betsie TRIPLED from that, and other nearby rivers started getting large amounts of strays returning?

Lakertaker44, Dagen and King Slayer like this.
  13. Benzie Rover

Benzie Rover

It is the fishing that is not like it was 20-30 years ago or more. The crowds have never approached the insanity of the late 70s and most of the early 80s. I always try to make this point as few understand it. When I was a kid the lower Platte would have cars park PAST El Dorado and we used to walk through the woods/dunes to get to our surf spot 1/2 mile down the beach from the mouth. Homestead was ridiculous. Both lots full regularly with most plates out of state from OH, PA, WV, NY, etc... Whole families of snaggers. Wives and kids being sent to the car with 5 on rope, dragging through mud the whole way. Dudes on the bank guarding the hole and keepin the fire stoked. It was a serious sight. Surf fishing at Frankfort/Elberta, it was normal to have 30-40 groups of dudes on the beach and breakwalls. Back then it was all about the harvest and you only told your neighbors since they wondering why you were filleting all those large fish in the driveway. Now, it's mostly about the grip n grin shot and posting some ego-pumping report with hot-shot lingo with as much publicity as possible.

Here's the main point though - back then EVERYONE caught fish. Lots of fish. Sure, some dudes were non-stop hooked up and others struggled for 2-3, but there were SO many more fish that you could still find your fish despite the crowds. That is not the case any longer and that is why I personally simply lost the zest for the anadromous circus, in Michigan anyway.

UBDSLO1, JimP, Stubee and 4 others like this.
  14. piscatorial warrior

piscatorial warrior Premium Member

It won't change a thing if those fish don't have anything to eat in the Big Lake. It will be just like Lake Huron circa 2005. A bunch of skinny fish with big heads followed by no fish the next year.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    eggfly, AdamBradley and riverbob like this.
  15. Fishndude

Fishndude

In 1986 on Sept 7th I was fishing at Homestead Dam, when 12" of rain fell on the entire State in a 24-hour period. There were so many Kings stacked below the dam, that the top fish were literally flopping out of the water on the backs of the fish beneath them. And, as the water rose, and rose, the fish FLEW over that dam. People were literally standing every 3-4 feet down to the first bend, and everyone was hooking fish. Lots of fish. BIG fish. You can't even imagine it, if you weren't there. Nothing like that exists in Michigan these days. Every hydro-generating dam in the State had just HORDES of Kings stacked below them, when the spawn was on. And that lasted for several weeks.

JimP and piscatorial warrior like this.