Homestead Closed for Business

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Ddog0587, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Macs13

Macs13

Hate it. That's when I like to go after salmon.

Also, it's worded funnily. It says that you can't use certain areas of forest land between 1 and 4 in order to prevent illegal camping and fires. It doesn't specifically say that the river herself is closed.

Looks like we'll see how diligent they are because I'll be out there either way.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

jiggin is livin likes this.
  2. crystalflash

crystalflash

Let’s face it......a great many people find the dam to be source of fun and recreation. So many looked forward to the yearly Betsie run. Having said that, we all know the lunacy taking place by the minute. That many people with that many fish in such a small area is bound to create some less than stellar behaviour. Not from all, but some for sure. Disapointing to a great many, but at the end of the day......it’s requierd. And yes I’m afraid the the behaviour isnt going to change, it will take place over a larger area of the river.

3. MichiganBuckeye

MichiganBuckeye

went here once last year. Got there at like 5 am thinking that would be sufficient to find a halfway decent place. Well we got a hole, a bad one. Every decent spot was taken by 4-10 people who had been there for 24 hours already. Sleeping on the bank, living off of cigarettes and caffeine. It was interesting. Good to experience once, but we fished one hole for 10 hours and caught 4 or 6 fish. Nothing I care to repeat. Also rough crowd out dere kang bangin. I prefer my further North rivers, rarely see people

4. SkunkCity

SkunkCity

That's the truth. I'll take my local rivers with fewer anglers!

jumbojake likes this.
  5. Bud man

Bud man

People in Lansing writing these orders need to get out more. I belive you read it correctly.

copied from order
    The location known as the Homestead Dam area is located on the Betsie River, downstream of US 31.

6. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

Yeah, the people making the rules in our State Government are appointed by people not so friendly to hunting and fishing. Any excuse to hinder us will be fully exploited.

They should do wtf they are paid to do and deal with the dirt-bags and leave the rest of us alone. But, we all know it is never the commonsense approach taken....

Oh well, at least there will be less people there when we sneak in to fish now!! :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Richard Cranium and jumbojake like this.
  7. Grinnell

Grinnell

I’ve lived on caffeine and nicotine on those slippery banks. Great memories. So now the new rule puts the starting point down past the first bend? glory hole? Sucker hole? Lol

8. sportsman98

sportsman98

The dnr had close to 2000 man hours in patrolling homestead over the last two years and made close to 500 misdemeanor arrests on top of the other civil infractions and contacts.

But let's blame the dnr for not doing their job.

Screenshot_20200910-212018_Textra.jpeg

9. jatc

jatc

500 arrests in 2000 man hours.

Can you say “ Bait Pile”?

eggfly and LushLife like this.
  10. LushLife

LushLife

well, snap - I'll see you all down in Allegan

11. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

I'm guessing that they could have made a lot more arrests.......if they really wanted to. Probably a lot of outstanding warrants were taken care of along with excessive onsite violations. Sometimes I don't really understand the obvious rippers.....are your fishing privileges and all of your gear really worth it?

Heard the COs were up on the Platte over the holiday weekend....probably pretty busy.

12. crystalflash

crystalflash

Unfortunately everyone gets painted with same brush. Many leave there driveways with the full intent of floating skein or tossing spinners and cranks. Some hit the road fully intending on spending there time drifting a hole hoping to floss one in the yap. A select few leave rubber on the driveway with the peddle to the floor, knowing they are going to rip every fish they can law be damn. 40 plus years of chasing Great Lakes cold water fish, you see a lot of good things come to an end because of a select few. But it’s that way a lot of thing like access to private land for outdoor activities like hiking,fishing,hunting,snowmobiling. How long does it take before some moron does exactly what owner said not to do. Suddenly the owner is the bad guy. Seen it happen so many times with stream access. A few bad apples, it always applies and never changes.

13. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

With all those head lights shining in the water at 3am, it's gotta pretty much be like high noon for the fish. 20190901_012858.jpeg

Richard Cranium likes this.
  14. Sparky23

Sparky23

Could care less dont fish there but know guys that do and 2k man hours is a joke. All they did is spread out the guys doing wrong and make it harder to catch them amd another reason to not do there jobs. Amazing how often I've been checked down stream on the man and bestie but rarely almost never when near a dam when 10ps of tickets could be issued on some nights. Another law that could have been taken care of by enforcing ones already in place.

15. beachnut

beachnut

I knew eventually it was going to happen. When I first started fishing the Homestead dam area 25 years ago it was nice, no litter, everyone got along and hardly anyone there, same for the Platte. Now thanks to social media it's all going to ****. Idiots everywhere trying to catch a salmon with not a care in the world. Trash all over, fish guts in parking lots, fights and total lack of respect to the areas they are fishing and the fellow fishermen. It's never going to be the same as it was years ago, it's only going to get worse.