close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Home made drift boats?

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by STONE FLY, Jan 28, 2015.

1. STONE FLY

STONE FLY

The boat rowed way better after lowering the seat a inch and thinning the oar shafts. Pretty well dialed in now.

Got home from the outing and my extended oarlocks that were suppose to be here a week before the outing, were on the frt porch. Super heavy duty, but the key is they are 2" longer than the standard 3" shafts and come with different spacers to adjust the height. This will allow me to raise the locks 1" and I might just put the seat release swivel back on and my compartments will open again :)
    IMG_3346.JPG
    IMG_3358.JPG
    Stopped by a outfitter on the way home and got a sticker for the boat, had just the right spot for it.
    IMG_3359.JPG
    IMG_3353.JPG
    IMG_3355.JPG
    So after 2 trips in the boat, I am not very bad ass at all but I hope that will change ;)

Mike likes this.
  2. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

I love the ruler.

3. Gamechanger

Gamechanger Premium Member

Nice touch there SF. Glad to hear the new oarlocks worked out.

4. Scott brotherton

Scott brotherton

HOW DID YOU MAKE REAR ROLLER I NEED THE SAME THING THANKS SCOTT

5. STONE FLY

STONE FLY

That roller is made from a pc of 1 1/4" gal. pipe from home depot, (which I bought a 10` length of and cut it to size) the bearings in the ends were purchased at tractor supply (thanks to dorf on steel for tracking them down) and the TS stock # on the bearings is 11-962361.

The brackets I made from some 2"x1/8" flat stock that I welded together, drilled and shaped one side for the roller so that the roller was sitting above the steel backet so that the boat would never hit it, and drilled a couple holes in the back of it to bolt to the trailer frame. A couple pcs of L angle iron would work just fine but I had the flat stock from building the trailer so I made my own angles. The brackets are bolted to the frame behind the roller on mine because I didnt have any extra room between them and the tail lights. I mounted the roller just a tad higher than the rear bunk.

I bought a pc of 5/8" bar stock near the length I need for the width of the roller + a little extra on the ends (any steel fab shop will have or get it)

You dont really need to do this, some guys paint them or just leave them bare, but I wanted something softer to roll the boat across:
    I covered the roller by using some carpet tape and cutting some bunk carpet to fit around it and then handstitched the seam to not have any issues with the carpet coming off. So far it has held up well, I cant say as much for the bunk carpet on the bunks. My back one is already tore.Looking at other trailers in parking lots, everyone has either torn or no bunk carpet left so I guess thats pretty common with use.

Issues I had making it: the bearings are a tiny bit loose in the ends of the pipe. I laid the pipe on the cement floor and took a punch and hammered dents on the inside edge of the pipe to create a knurled effect, that snugged them up a little, and the bar stock I got was a little out of round so I sanded a few inches of the bar until I could slide the bearing over it, put the bar through the pipe and then tapped the bearings into the pipe.

Added a couple washers and drilled holes through the rod for cotter pins to hold it in place. This might seem like alot but its pretty simple and not very expensive. Having the roller is HUGE for pulling the boat out in places other than a real boat launch where you can back the trailer all the way in. Once you get the nose on that roller, you can pull it up right off the ground if need be.
    Hope this helps
    IMG_3140.JPG

IMG_3018.JPG

koditten likes this.
  6. john warren

john warren

i know your thinking wood, and have built one myself, was fun and worked well. but i got a inflatable pontoon a couple years ago,,,, oh my that thing is awsome. cost about the same as i spent on my woody,,,or less. floats me high and dry. stable. and stores in one plastic tub with my inflator pump , the frame can break down , or toss in the back of your suv or pick up. mine has a mount for a trolling motor for use on lakes too, but i never used the motor as a stroke of the ore sends you scurrying acrossed the water, and you don;t have tp repaint it,,,,,ever

7. koditten

koditten

I found your thread by accident. I'm glad I did! Beautiful write up and pictures. Thanks.

I've only got as far as loading pics of my build. Very little write ups on my build. I won't be able to compare.

Here is the link to all my pictures if anyone is interested. Save me the trouble of having to respond in my own thread.

https://goo.gl/photos/7uVwcF2eTbocQicR7

bronc72 likes this.
  8. STONE FLY

STONE FLY

Thanks Koditten. I thought I would share a short project as I went and I did the write up for some forum entertainment for everyone during the slow winter months, which ended up being a years worth!! I know I look forward to new posts and pictures. Ive been watching your build. Very nice and wow, nice shop. I hope to see you on the water one day this summer. :)

9. limige

limige

Koditten, nice work, are you working off plans?

10. koditten

koditten

Somewhat. For the hull, yes. Everything else is from ideas I've borrowed off Google Images. I type in "aluminum drift boat" and hundreds of pictures pop up.

11. STONE FLY

STONE FLY

I`m liking your build koditten, and its looking good but from a purists standpoint, "If God wanted us to build drift boats out of aluminum, he would have planted aluminum trees" :)

koditten likes this.
  12. WILDCATWICK

WILDCATWICK

Well, how's the floating going?!

13. koditten

koditten

Can't complain. Got out on Sunday to spend some time on the Au Sable, downstream from Grayling about 6 miles or so. It was perfect trout fishing weather.

WILDCATWICK and Steve like this.
  14. STONE FLY

STONE FLY

I only did one float, the Ausable in Mio early this year. All my fishing plans got foiled for this summer finding out my job was going out of business. Ive just been laying low saving money to pay bills if I`m out of work. I did just land a new job though and start next week so I might be looking for the 4 hp motor and a boat cover still this year and maybe get out for salmon.

WILDCATWICK likes this.
  15. koditten

koditten

Bummer on the job situation. Keep up the spirits as best you can.