close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Home made drift boats?

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by STONE FLY, Jan 28, 2015.

1. STONE FLY

STONE FLY

So I did a search and only found 1 post on here from 06, but the links for plans and info was long gone. Wondering if anyone has any info to share on getting plans, or building a drift boat. This is something I would really like take on myself. I think it would be alot more practical and versatile than building a canoe. Ive got extensive wood working skills and tools so that part is covered. A small plywood boat would be perfect.

I floated the PM once with Shoeman in 03 who at the time had I think a 13` drift boat and I had a 12` jon boat (which worked) but I was so impressed how that drift boat would just stand still in the current, and move about with ease. Hoping someone can share some info here :)

andrew09 likes this.
  2. twowack

twowack

Clark Craft.
    Boatdesign.com

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015

3. michiganmaniac

michiganmaniac

I am just about done with my first driftboat build on a McKenzie double ender with a transom. If you buy the book "Drift Boats and River Dories" by Robert Fletcher, it includes all the details and detailed plans on building 10 different styles of drifters. Also, check out the site, woodenboatpeople.com, it was very helpful to me with my drift boat build.

4. michiganmaniac

michiganmaniac

Or you can go to the library and rent it, my library had it and after I looked through it, it convinced me to build.

5. RobW

RobW

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  6. STONE FLY

STONE FLY

wow, thanks for the info guys, sounds like more than a few have done this, awesome

7. STONE FLY

STONE FLY

Good stuff, I just called the library and they are getting it in for me:)
    How long have you been working on it?

8. michiganmaniac

michiganmaniac

I started last year around Christmas time. I worked on it regularly for about a month and then lost steam and it sat for awhile. Near the end of the summer I started back up and nearly finished the boat. Now I just have to get the finishing hardware and oil the interior and it'll be good to go. Realistically, if you worked on it a few nights a week, actual build time should take a month or two. However before you build, I would advise that you do a lot of planning. Make sure you fully understand the construction and the types of wood you want to use, there are a lot of nuances. That will save you a lot of head rubbing during the building process.

A great source for wood is craigslist. White oak, the main wood used for frame construction, is not normally commercially available and I got it for really cheap off craigslist.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  9. slickdragger

slickdragger

ive thought about making the outside outta louon then filling the void with spray foan then putting louon on the inside sandwhiching the foam yhink it might make a decent beater boat i could drag through the woods and down hills

10. dmc1651

dmc1651

11. Duckiller

Duckiller

Glen-L has plans for drift boats of various lengths. Not sure of the site address. Google it.

john warren likes this.
  12. STONE FLY

STONE FLY

It might work using underlayment but in order for it to last more than a season, the cost of the glass and other materials is still alot. Might be better to use quality wood and have it last a long time. A small one could be drug all over, would still take a beating and could be repaired easy

Thats a real nice simple boat, looks good and wouldnt be so involved. I`m gonna dwell on that design a little. That looks just like what I want, but maybe add a few things.

I got the book "drift boats and river dories" from the library. Just picked it up yesterday. It has some decent plans in it I can scan, but not the variety I was hoping for. Not much for glue and stitch, which I was thinking would be the way to go, but after seeing a awesome pic of a McKenzie being launched in the AuSable here in Mich, wow, what a work of art. Making me think a frame boat is not out of the question, though its a 16` and I want maybe 13`.

So its looking like this is going to be a very hard choice to make.Theres a guy in town here thats made a few boats but hes not back from down south yet that I can talk to, and I have a guy I work with thats guides out of a 23` river boat that was made by him (glue and stitch) and its pretty sweet, but not what I want.

I`m looking around for marine plywood right now and getting my ducks in a row. Looks like its gonna be around a grand for materials. Got a woodstove set up in the garage last weekend and hoping to get a start on it before spring, maybe get it done by mid to late summer would be nice.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  13. STONE FLY

STONE FLY

Trying to scan a page, not sure if this will work. This is that McKenzie and a pic of Shoemans boat from 2001

Attached Files:

14. dmc1651

dmc1651

Yep, I can't wait till the weather warms up a little and I can start on mine. I've got plans for the 16 Ft wide bottom, standard sides. I've heard that Menards carries marine grade plywood, but I've yet to verify that. Here's another supplier too. http://www.boulterplywood.com/MarinePlywood_4.htm
    I hope you post some pictures of your boat once it's built. I will too... if it turns out alright that is. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  15. brushbuster

brushbuster

Stonefly, rare earth hardwoods in TC. has okum and marine grade plywood.
    edit. West marine also has west systems epoxy glass cloth and marine varnish.
    one more thing. Nohas boat works is a great boat building forum

http://www.noahsmarine.com/forums/activity.php?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015