close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hog ranch question

Discussion in 'Feral Pig Control and Hunting' started by jmckeon, Mar 17, 2018.

1. jmckeon

jmckeon

Ok never hunted hogs or been on a hog hunt. I know ranch hunting isnt really hunting lol. But where would be beat place to go in lower michigan to shoot a pig. Looking for somewhere with a someone decent hunt and good size pigs that aren' outrageous on price. Me and buddy both wanna put some meat in freezer and this seems like a more fun option than a burchershop

2. Hunting18

Hunting18

I went to Hidden Horns Game Ranch with some friends two years ago in Howard City MI. Like you stated, it is pretty much like shooting fish in a barrel. Definitely a canned hunt. However it was a great time spent with friends. It was $350 /pp and included a night stay in his lodge and breakfast in the morning if I remember right.

Lightfoot, hockeydave and Perferator like this.

3. steelhead281

steelhead281

There is a great place in Hillsdale or Lenewee County. It would be a great place to hunt csidering this weekends nasty weather. The guy has an indoor hunting ground, it is the really long narrow building with a hiking path right down the center. You can walk down the path and take your time selecting your trophy. The nice thing is he keeps the pigs separated by size so if you are looking for a big hog you can easily find them. The tender youngster are together as well if you prefer. It is really easy to select the color variation if you are looking for that special mount. Good luck on your hunt. lol

Ford 800 likes this.
  4. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Every month Woods-n-Water runs a few ads from pig farms. Google search would turn up a few.

L & O

5. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

IF you opt to go this route, you might want to cast around among your friends to see if any of them are devoted sausage makers. I have a salmon fishing friend who is a member of a sausage making guild. These guys have their own temperature and humidity controlled walk-in unit for use in curing. Domestic pork has become quite lean and the fat is bland. Wild and Heritage pork fat and bellies are high demand items. I had some of their sopressata last July made from Heritage hog- really distinct buttery taste.

hockeydave likes this.
  6. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

That sounds like fun. Not.

Far Beyond Driven likes this.
  7. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

I'm not sure if I understand how this is done. Do you walk thru that area, select the pig you want and then it is transported to something like a 20 acre hunting pen ?

L & O

Cork Dust and Ford 800 like this.
  8. Ford 800

Ford 800

9. Duckhunter66

Duckhunter66

Trophy Ranch in Ubly is good too

hockeydave likes this.