Hired Gun.... the documentary

Discussion in 'Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)' started by Big50blaster, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Big50blaster

Big50blaster

There is a documentary called "Hired Gun" on Netflix. It is a general documentary about how music is made. Hired Gun is the term assigned to the musicians that play in a band, and in some cases sing in the recording studio, that are just hired by the "Star" and unfortunately go from playing for millions of people on tour one week to being homeless the next.(all while the star rolls in the big money)

It is a very eye opening documentary about how most of the players that record the albums aren't even in the band!!!! What blows my mind is that some of the songs are even sung by and recorded by people not in the band!!!!

You just thought Ted Nugent sang Strangle hold.

This documentary covers a huge array of musical genres. (even the Ghost busters theme)

Billy Joel.... Country....MoTown...Pop...Rock...Heavy Metal. A hand full of "Studio Musicians" are the ones who have recorded most of ALL the music people listen too. So when you buy a CD to listen too, you aren't even listening to the band you thought you were.

If you like music WATCH IT!

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  2. U of M Fan

U of M Fan

I watched it. It was pretty good, I thought the same thing about stranglehold.

Another good one is 20 feet from stardom.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

3. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I will put this on my to watch list. Sounds interesting. I have known a few musicians that now in the automotive industry that talked about this. One of them was a guy who played with the romantics and toured for a year with Bob segar. He talked about how broke most of the musicians were that made stars famous.

Thanks for posting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

4. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

I'll watch it, thanks for the tip. I watched the documentary on the Eagles and it was pretty cool.

5. U of M Fan

U of M Fan

It’s crazy how broke some of them were playing in well known bands. They would’ve been better off being techs. A guy I grew up with became a guitar tech and he made 100k + a year. But he worked for some big names.

6. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

Yes in many cases. The Wrecking Crew for example worked on lots of popular groups music as enhancements. I guess I knew about this all along but it does sound like a great show to watch, I am sure I'd learn some stuff!

7. U of M Fan

U of M Fan

There is doc on the wrecking crew also.

Oldgrandman likes this.
  8. swampbuck

swampbuck

There's a couple of them in my area, called the strawberry jam band. And a variety of the same type that join them in various combinations. Incredible talents. I am not a big motown fan, but that level of talent, I will go to see.

9. kingfisher 11

kingfisher 11

I watched it, very good.

I just finished a very good series on Amazon Prime. The show is Bosch, 4 seasons on Amazon. Probably the best detective show i have seen in a while.

10. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

The keyboardist for Pink Floyd got fired from the band, then rehired as a contract employee for one of the last tours. The tour lost money and all the band members ended up paying for it, but this guy didn't.

Sometimes the session musicians form bands and do pretty well. I think Toto started like that. I know their drummer played with everybody at some point in time.

11. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Just listening to Anton Fig with Joe Bonamassa at Red Rocks. The guy has drummed for pretty much everybody at some point in time. Letterman's Band. Kiss.

Steve "the Colonel" Cropper from the Blues Brothers is the same way - has played with or produced with all kinds of genres.

12. Big50blaster

Big50blaster

To me making it big in the music business is about like winning the lottery. Very slim chance of becoming a big famous band. After watching this it is more like winning the lottery and never getting much of the money! LOL

13. Oldgrandman

A famous quote about music business, repeated by a musician who played in the song in my signature, so don't feel too bad for them!

"Well, son, you won't make much money, but you'll get more p***y than Frank Sinatra."

Big50blaster, U of M Fan and 6Speed like this.
  14. Oldgrandman

These dudes just seemed to be having fun. Bet they all just went on to be average Joe's like all of us.....

15. BassTech

BassTech

Stranglehold was sung by Derek St. Holmes. He was part of the band and in no way a hired gun. He was in all of the liner notes, etc, and sang on tour. He sang most of the t. n. album that had stranglehold on it. He toured with the band, and still does sometimes. Meatloaf even sang one of the songs on that disc... ted rarely sang.