Hi, I need your help to solve a mystery.

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by cropcircle, Apr 27, 2018.

1. cropcircle

cropcircle

Hi. I'll try to make this brief. I'm starting to get desperate for an answer, and I thought Michigan outdoors men might know more than anyone else.

I want to pull on the collective experience of people here, who know the outdoors, to maybe shed some light on this mystery I can't figure out. I'm going to post this in one or two place to see if the exposure helps solve the mystery. Hope that's ok Mods.

I was looking on a local satellite map in my area, Thumb of Michigan, USA, and I found several circles, all in the area, if not the same section.

Some of it's state land, so I hiked out there to see what it was. There's no trails (new or old distinguishable) to any of these. These circles are a section of land, about 300-400 feet round, with...20-30 feet of water, like a moat, around it. There's no markings or telling of equipment that I could see that made these. I've asked people who know about the CCC, local historians, soil testing people, and a few logging gurus, and none of them can tell me what it is.

As best as I can tell, the trees are 70-135 years old on these patches of land.

Here's a picture from Imgur https://imgur.com/a/aRt3C0N

And I found it originally from here: https://www.tuscolacounty.org/gis/

You can see a view on Google Maps, but it must have to do with leaves covering it or what not. On the GIS map, there's 20+ of these.

Thanks for any help!

2. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Possibly digging minerals with an excavator there is a small one nearby my house .It was dug by a farmer many years ago .

jeffm likes this.

3. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Old beaver lodges. They will dig quite deep around their home to build the lodge and have an underwater entrance.

Or it could be dinosaur nests

Downsea, jeffm and Firefighter like this.
  4. jeffm

jeffm

Hey cropcircle
    M.S has a couple Geologist as members here, maybe they will chime in on possible causes, I'm sure they have ran into this type of satellite image many times imo.

5. cropcircle

cropcircle

I've seen beaver damns before, but never not around water? These are seemingly chunks of lands made roughly into circles with 20-30 feet of water around them.

They are all just in one small parcel of the county. Not anywhere around it looks like.

6. cropcircle

cropcircle

No tracks, no equipment marks, no old abandoned trails of any kind.

7. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

Up in the area of the NE lower where I hunt there are a lot of perfectly round holes in the woods like that but I have only seen one with the island in the middle. They are usually about 50 to 100 ft. across and maybe 10 ft. deep. I understand they are from the ice age where glaciers deposited huge boulders or something.

multibeard, jeffm and Waif like this.
  8. Waif

Waif

A pic would help maybe...... Links did not help on this device.
    Have you tried checking elevation of sites? High ground and a high water table could be similar?
    Spring flooding / thaw could drown trees before leaving late season grasses when water finally recedes.

Enough soil in a pocket and Native mounds could be built. Lots of labor and a ditch around the base for fill material to be removed from is a possibility ,but a shortcut compared to bringing soil from a greater distance.

9. Waif

Waif

A type of glacial Kame is quite possible.

jeffm likes this.
  10. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

The one by my house was dug to get marl deposits ...it is in a dried up lakebed .

11. nafc2005

nafc2005

I wonder if what you're seeing are kettles - similar to those found in the kettle moraine area of Wisconsin. If I remember correctly, the kettles were formed by chunks of glacial ice being buried under glacial till and then the chunks melted, forming the "kettles". This doesn't explain the islands in the OP's pictures, though.

12. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

Could be. They are very distinctive.

13. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

This may not be the cause but it is a plausible possibility. Back in the day, circa early 1960's, the DNR went on a wetland enhancement spree especially in areas close to the Great Lakes. During winter months they moved drag lines into areas and made "pot holes" to enhance waterfowl nesting opportunities. Some of the dugouts were linear and some circular in the areas I am familiar with. Evidence of equipment movement was long gone by the late 70's. FM

Thirty pointer, jeffm and Downsea like this.
  14. Downsea

Downsea Premium Member

Alien circles. They've been here forever. They look like what we call women, I married one.

U of M Fan, 6Speed and DecoySlayer like this.
  15. swampbuck

swampbuck

I have seen them holes, never knew the cause.

Here's a good example of the wetlands improvent though. That I know well.

IMG_20180427_121436.jpg