Here's an Oldie - What is it?

Discussion in 'Knives and Flashlights' started by Lund Explorer, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

Wife went to an estate auction last weekend and bought a crate of gardening stuff. This was in the bottom of that crate. It is most likely beyond saving, but is kind of interesting. Would like to figure out what it is.

The name on it is "weyersberg kirschbaum & co solingen". This company made swords, bayonets, and other knives, etc..

DSCF0271.JPG DSCF0272.JPG

knu2xs, JUSTCATCHINUM and jeffm like this.
  2. JUSTCATCHINUM

JUSTCATCHINUM

3. 6thMichCav

6thMichCav

It looks a lot like the blade identified as a 1909 German artillery machete on this page about halfway down : http://www.militariarg.com/swords--bayonets.html
    R
    emember, Germany was producing a huge amount of weapons for export from 1871 up until WW II. Some pages mention Argentine markings, but that is just one of dozens of customers in that time period.

Either way, a pre-WW I bayonet May have some collector interest, rusty or not.

6Speed and knu2xs like this.
  4. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

I did a little more searching and find that it is called a Short Sword. They were sold to, and carried as a close in hand weapon by a number of armies from around 1900 through at least WWI if not beyond. Supposedly, the company changed hands during the Great Depression. The Argentine version was called a Bolo Machete. The manufacturer logo pressed into that blade was arched rather than the straight line wording on this one.

My best guess at this point was that this was a war trophy from the First World War.

5. knu2xs

knu2xs Canoeist Premium Member

Interesting thread.

A friend of mine had one back in the 60’s, early 70’s, that he always took when we went on “weekend” camping trips.

It was pretty handy for cutting small stuff for the fire.....

Lund Explorer likes this.
  6. Petronius

Petronius Staff Member Premium Member Mods

The German city of Solingen is known for high quality steel and and a center for knives, swords, and other blades. It's blade making history goes back to the Middle Ages.

7. on a call

on a call

Will:yeahthat: someone kill that dam fly above my post ??

Above all...thank her for the good find :)

Lund Explorer and Petronius like this.
  8. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

That's a nice and I must say lucky find. I had a knife from Solingen when I was in the army.

I miss her.

GIDEON and Lund Explorer like this.
  9. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

I thought about smacking it with a Short Sword. :lol:

10. Stand By

Stand By

Solingen to knives is like Suhl to firearms.

Have a nice, small collection of Wusthof kitchen knives (Solingen). Also a little stag handled jaeger knife for my lederhosen, also from Solingen. Think of how many mauser clones are out there, then think of the current value of an unaltered 98k. I'm not up on current bayonet or military knife values, but I know I wouldn't readily part with in stamped Solingen.

GIDEON likes this.