Here's a good ol' fishing report.

Discussion in 'Icefishing Lk. St. Clair' started by GoldnEye, Feb 11, 2020.

1. GoldnEye

GoldnEye

Wife and I managed to make an escape and get out today at the floating vessel. We had a little luck today bringing home a 8" seed and 8 7-8" perch. We fished 2 spots. Sorted threw a bunch. Most were caught on dead stick minnow, few on waxies, none on spoons. Water clarity is still a issue. IMG_20200211_155312_01.jpg 20200211_152202.jpg

HollyC got quite the surprise while working a spoon a creature from the deep attacked.
    IMG_20200211_155315_01.jpg We didn't have a tape on us but she's claiming 15-16". Slimy bugger slimed up the whole hole on his way back. IMG_20200211_155308_01.jpg Both of us were pretty shocked to see 1) a mudpuppy 2) that size and 3) that it hit a spoon.

1st spot was east of entrance about within a 100yards of homes 8"+ ice
    2nd spot was about 200yards s.w. of that about 4" of ice.

If the gentleman that tracked us down during our move to return a dropped glove is on here; thank you again sir.

Attached Files:

2. HollyC

HollyC

It was a great date, we should do it again sometime ;);)

Scottygvsu, Swampdog467, TK81 and 7 others like this.

3. Seanympho

Seanympho

4. MPOW

MPOW

did you catch the perch on the thick ice or the 4" ice.....I was on 4"...

HollyC and billfer like this.
  5. Classic8Track

Classic8Track

Nice report, Thanks

HollyC likes this.
  6. GoldnEye

GoldnEye

It was on the 4". Just set the shanty up out here now again about to drop some lines. If any ones out here I'm flying solo in the big Eskimo. I'll report back later. Not staying long cauae I just got off work salting and havent been to bed yet.

HollyC likes this.
  7. MPOW

MPOW

perch are eating minnows....hope you have some....might get a few bass too

HollyC, GoldnEye and billfer like this.
  8. GoldnEye

GoldnEye

I do have some, but what I don't have is luck today. I've had a dead stick minnow the whole time while trying to jig minnows, minnow head, minnow tail, waxies, and spoon. Still nothing. The wind is starting to pick up so I'm not going to move a double hub by myself. Going to give it another 40 min er so. Coming back in the morning anyway with my lucky charm HollyC and the kiddos for hopefully a Valentine day slamfest... but I'm not going to hold my breath

HollyC, MPOW, kennyb1 and 5 others like this.
  9. MPOW

MPOW

go straight out from the launch to the entrance of the second canal from marina.....about 100-150 yards out and 100 yards from the open water....7ft of water.....they come and go....set up and don't move

billfer, GoldnEye and HollyC like this.
  10. HollyC

HollyC

If you're out tomorrow come say hi we will be in the double hub Eskimo with a few kids teach em' young right?!

billfer and MPOW like this.
  11. MPOW

MPOW

too nasty....i'm waiting til Sunday.....stay warm!!! catchem' up!!!

HollyC likes this.
  12. GoldnEye

GoldnEye

There's a good chance we will be out then too. Gotta get it in while it's here! Thanks for the tips. Hoping to leave the house early enough to be over there before first light but with the kiddos coming might have a better chance of a limit of jumbos.

13. GoldnEye

GoldnEye

Well we finally made it out around 8 stayed til 330. Fished that area MPOW. Stepped on an unmarked spearing hole with my right foot and went in up to my knee. Decided to set up there and get the heater going. Between HollyC, our oldest and I, we probably pulled up 70-80 with 15 making it in the bucket. Schools would come and go. Only biting on live minnows til after 2 they started hitting yellow bead 2.5" spoon.
    The bowfins kept coming up to say hello probably saw at least 20.
    Had 1 school come in and couldn't get down down fast enough and in the middle of the battle my phone slid out of my chest pocket and went straight in the hole, some how not only did I make an epic dive from my chair to grab it out of the water but I am posting this on it. Got to love my $15 Wal-Mart phone, no case either.

I marked that spearing hole with 4 tombstones and a sled full of reeds.

Thanks again MPOW.
    Good luck out there and watch out for spearing holes that snow is hiding death traps.

billfer, MPOW, Allnight and 7 others like this.
  14. Nodinkdevin

Nodinkdevin

B
    Great report sucks you got a wet leg and almost lost a phone but was a good day regardless. What was the water clarity like and we’re they hitting right off bottom. Thanks goldneye

HollyC likes this.
  15. GoldnEye

GoldnEye

A day on the ice is better than a day wishing there was ice especially when it's spent with the family.
    Approximately 8fow, visibility was 4-5' fish were biting about 1 reel up from bottom.

HollyC and Allnight like this.